Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I have only ever tried a handful of pumpkin ales, and they usually suffer from some kind of imbalance that I can't quite place my finger on. Dogfish Head really nailed it, though. That stuff is amazing. I've only ever had one pumpkin ale that beats it, and that was at my local brew pub when I lived in PA.

+1 DFH's Punkin Ale is very, very good. Whats better is that the 7% ABV is hidden well, a good brew to slip to the SWMBO ;)

I bought a 4-pack of it today. To be honest, I didn't think it was great. It had a hot, alcoholic tone to it that I didn't like. I've only had one bottle so it very well could have been my palate this afternoon. We'll see if the next bottle is better.

This surprises me since I usually always love Dogfish Head's beers.

I really like Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale. I need to find a sixer of that soon.

EDIT - I am drinking another Dogfish Punkin right now. I'm not sure what was wrong with my palate yesterday but I'm really enjoying it now. The brown sugar is very apparent.

I'll have to pick up some this year. For some reason I recall not being impressed last year...
FWIW, Michigan Brewing Company's Screamin' Pumpkin is great. I don't think that we share it with other states, though. :D

I had it yesterday during the club meeting at a local bar that had it on tap. I was not impressed at all. I would not spend a dime on it again...def not worth the money if you ask me. Plus on top of it I could barley locate any spice/pumkin flavor

I have only ever tried a handful of pumpkin ales, and they usually suffer from some kind of imbalance that I can't quite place my finger on. Dogfish Head really nailed it, though. That stuff is amazing. I've only ever had one pumpkin ale that beats it, and that was at my local brew pub when I lived in PA.

What was your local brewpub in PA?, just curious.

I got my first sampling of this last night (out of bottles from the booze shop) and I thought it was really, really great. I detected NO alcohol and neither did SWMBO (who enjoyed it more than I did, I think.)

If you're not tasting spice in your beer you've either got a faulty tongue or a funky tap.

I bought a four pack tonight. I love this beer. The pumpkin and spices blend so well with just the right amount of each.

I've had this beer many times, one of my favorites, but yesterday was my first time having it on tap. I love it, and it never fails to impress me. I don't understand how someone could miss the spice in that beer. It's definitely noticeable.

It had a hot, alcoholic tone to it that I didn't like.

I've had it in the brew pub in Rehoboth and found the same thing. Maybe not so much as "hot", but definitely an unbalanced alcohol flavor that stuck out like a sore thumb in the beer. To me, if they reduced the gravity to get the ABV under 5% (and consequently tweek the bitterness to keep the BU:GU ratio balanced), it would be perfect. This alcohol flavor was the only flaw in the beer, IMO.

But, some people don't mind the big alcohol flavor. That's just me and I lean towards lower ABV session beers, which DFH doesn't have very many of.

To me, it tastes too much like vegetables and not enough like pumpkin pie. It's kind of like licking the outside of a pumpkin.....and it was really damn expensive.

I love this beer and I can't wait until its release again this year. I just ordered ingredients to make a clone - looking forward to sipping on it during football season... It makes the end of summer a little more bearable.

Back