Dogfish Head Black & Blue clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingViking

Reaction score
Ok so my friend wants to get into home brewing and he wanted to make the dogfish black and blue. I couldn't find any recipes or clones online, so i had to come up with a recipe from reading the reviews. What does anyone think?

Dingemans Pilsen Malt 14 lbs
Weyermann Wheat Malt .5 lbs
Table Sugar 2 lbs

Mash-in at 146F for 30 mins at 1.5 qt/lb. Then step up by adding a gallon to get 156F for 30 mins at 1.75 qt/lb. Batch sparge first at 160F. Do first runnings and add 2.5 gallons to get 167F and collect second runnings. Boil 6.2 gallons for an hour. Evaporation rate is around 1 gallon/hr.

60 min hop addition:
Hallertau .5 oz
Saaz .5 oz

30 min hop addition:
Hallertau .25 oz
Saaz .25 oz

Last 10 min of boil add 1 lb blackberries and blueberries.
After the boil remove the berries, puree them and then add them to the primary.

Yeast: WLP500 Trappist Ale

Also the lowest i can get for fermenting is around 70F right now.

sounds delish : "A belgian-style Golden Ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries" but why not use WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast?

just an update if anyone is interested. brewed it a couple days ago. couldn't get the mash to step up to 156-158F. so left it at 146-148F for 40 to 50 minutes. also couldn't get the mash out higher then 156F. no stuck mash but the SG was only 1.071. The fermentation is going good though. temp at high 70s.

What was your target OG?

How high an ABV is Black and blue anyway?

Target OG was suppose to be 1.094. The black and blue is 10%.

Update too. We bottled it 2 weeks ago. Final gravity was 1.003. Haven't tried it carbonated yet, but it was really good flat.

Hey sorry for not updating in awhile. Haven't tried it in awhile but from what I remember it was very berry and delicous. It did have an alcoholic hotness from the high fermentation temp. My friends said that after awhile the bottles started to gush. I think it was to much priming sugar. I have one bottle saved. Waiting to see if I can get my hands on a dogfish head to see how close I was.

Update:
Just got the chance to finally have DFH Black & Blue. Just wanna say I think it was a good beer. Not worth the price for me but still good. But to the point. Had 2 bottles left in the closet from the clone. 10 months old. Tasted them side by side. Very close. 4 of us tried it so far and we all think the clone was very close. The clone had a sour twang now but hey I thought it would be a lot worse. The sour actually works well with it. There's a little more body in the DFH but not much. Also noticed the bottle now says black raspberries but the website still says blackberries. Don't know if they actually changed it or if it's just a bottle error. But now I know what to change to make it better.

Back