Doged a bullet from SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I dodged a bullet.

I use a bathroom in our basement as my fermenting room because I can control the temperature with a small space heater (much to the distain of SWMBO). It is the "guest bath", so it is decorated with that sort of "stuff" that they do to a perfectly useful beer room.

My latest batch of IPA started slow, and was going slow when I went to bed at 10:00. I got up at 6:30 the next morning, went downstairs and could smell that distinctive aroma of beer, but it was strong. I opened the door and my airlock blew off, hit the ceiling, and landed halfway across the room sometime during the night. Of coursce the first thing that happened was I saw my life pass before my eyes. Next thing I got an airlock, did a quick sanatizing, and stuck into the the carboy. Bubbled nicely.

OK. Got to clean up this mess. Thank God for OxyClean and smooth walls, instead of textured walls. The oxyclean worked great. One application, wait a few minutes and wipe it off. Walls, ceiling, floor. Done in 15 minutes. A quick look around and looks good.

The real test came a few days later. Company was coming so SWMBO had to clean the bathroom. She did the cleaning thing and never made a comment like "What happened to the wall - ceiling - floor?".

SAFE!!!

I usually use a blow off tube, but this started so slowly, I thought I would catch it if it needed one.

:) I had a similar experiance with Wyeast American Ale 2, This thing took of and blew it to a hall coat closet. The total fermentation was over in about 72 hours but it rocked and rolled for all three days and then fell off ultra fast!!!!:)

LOL that sounds familiar! Not the blowup part but rather fermenting in the bathroom. I fermented a mead in the spare bathroom of our old house for over a year because it was the only room I could keep at a steady 75f. (I keep the rest of the hous around 65 in winter.)To this day SWMBO reminds me of this!

Good show, old chap!!!!! Things we do for our SWMBO. Been there, done that, and will be continuing to do THAT!!!!!

Back