Dog in Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once! I sure did love that dog. Too bad I had to put her down!

Just kidding! She still lives!

I am sure they will if they wanted too. I mean they will chew into a bag of dog food all day long...

Cheers
Jay

Had a 30 lb unmilled grain bill in a bucket sitting next to the grain bucket I was fixing to mill into..turned away for a sec to hook up the drill to the mill and when I turned back, my oldest male lab had his head in the grain bucket eating away at the unmilled grain..lol..I called it the Doggie Day IPA..

All of my labs will devour spent grains as well when they are warm..they love eating that up...just have to be careful they dont eat too much of it or they will get a bellyache..seen it happen.

Damn dogs.
:fro:

I would stick the dog in the mash tun with the lid shut for an hour beforehand to pre-heat the tun. You could even mash with him still in there. It would at least for awhile preclude the need for a mash paddle.

Reminds me of Red Tick Beer from the Simpsons..... NEEDS MORE DOG!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqbk9pgPXw[/ame]

Has you dog ever chewed his way into a grain bag? I am pretty sure it is not mice. The baggie is ripped, not chewed.

Absolutely, my dog was notorious for trying to chew her way into the grain bad when I wasn't looking. Or "helping" clean up any spilled grain. Or trying to get to the empty grain bag. It seemed like one way or another she would always manage to get covered in grain dust on brew day :p

All of my labs will devour spent grains as well when they are warm..they love eating that up...just have to be careful they dont eat too much of it or they will get a bellyache..seen it happen.

Damn dogs.

Agreed- ended up taking her to the vet one time because I was concerned she was obstructed. We took xrays and found her completely full of spent grain from nose to tail. I started being more careful about it after that. :p

Thanks, all. There were no mouse droppings. Very little grain was consumed. The dog has never shown interest in grain before, so I did not know this was a dog thing. I'm gonna brew with it.

Thanks, all. There were no mouse droppings. Very little grain was consumed. The dog has never shown interest in grain before, so I did not know this was a dog thing. I'm gonna brew with it.

Ohh man.. Dont brew with the DOG! I mean this gives a whole new meaning to the catch phrase "Hair of the DOG" :D

Poor dog!

Cheers
Jay

my dogs will happily chew into any bag they think might have food in it. bags left on the table are a clue to them. They figure out pretty quickly which ones have empty shell casings, or bath beads or fertilizer, and then they just leave the ripped bag alone. They don't seem to eat any stuff like that, they just have to tear the bag open to see if it's food or not.

A pinch of grain is all I need to make him happy and give a good sit.

IMG_20161119_162029364.jpg

Had a 30 lb unmilled grain bill in a bucket sitting next to the grain bucket I was fixing to mill into..turned away for a sec to hook up the drill to the mill and when I turned back, my oldest male lab had his head in the grain bucket eating away at the unmilled grain..lol..I called it the Doggie Day IPA..

Damn dogs.

I was thinking Hair of the Dog ale?....:D

Back