Dog ate krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyguy01

Reaction score
Dog got to the brew bucket before I could clean it up. Was about half a cup of krausen that he licked up that on top of the bucket. I don't care about my beer, more concerned about my dog. Anyone have any experience with this?

Honestly don't know but if there's spent hops (trubs) you might want to keep an eye on him. Also that yeast could cause an infection some dogs ears. Not too serious if treated early.

I've heard the hops can kill em. But they say the same for chocolate and I know my dogs are fine after getting into a bunch of it. My vet friend said keep an eye on em and make sure they still eat, drink and poop like usual.

I've heard the hops can kill em. But they say the same for chocolate and I know my dogs are fine after getting into a bunch of it. My vet friend said keep an eye on em and make sure they still eat, drink and poop like usual.

it's an allergy thing and some breeds are more susceptible to it than others.

being that the krausen is the byproduct of the yeast doing there thing I wouldn't think the alcohol content would be very high. Depending on the size of your dog, a half a cup of beer shouldn't kill him. He may take a good nap though. I have an 85 pound golden retriever who has gotten into a full pint I left unattended and he was just fine. Best of luck. If you see a drastic change in his behavior, call your vet. Good luck

My dog ate a packet of us-05, that ended the brew day real fast... And steroid medication... She is fine.

Thanks. My Dog has drank plenty of beer before. Guess we will just wait and see.

Time to rename this double brown ale to dog drool.

Man I probably wouldn't worry about it unless he drank a gallon. My cousin lets his dog drink SoCo and lime with no ill effects. I always say if its good for me it's good for them. I've seen dogs drink beer all the time. I say if he ain't tweaking by tomorrow then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup, hops would be the only concern here. Just keep an eye on him - if he starts panting, acting feverish/weird, get him to the vet ASAP. Otherwise, no worries.

My dog lapped up some of my cooling wort before - also a brown ale, and also called it dog drool. Turned out great, people loved the name.

I know for a fact that a golden retriever will die after consuming to much hops (had a friend who lost a golden because of) the vet they took him to did not even know this or how to treat him sad. Watch your hops around the pups.

Hops give dogs hyperthermia (if im not mistaken) which is over heating I'm assuming. Im no vet. just keep an eye on him. Good luck to ya! Hope.the brew turned out well

"Better safe then...brewless"

My dog got into a backpack when he was a puppy and ate 3 chocolate bars. Dark chocolate, at that, which contains FAR more (as in, an entire order of magnitude) of the "toxic" compound than milk chocolate. He's just over 20 pounds now (absolutely massive for a papillon... but he's just big - very athletic and not at all fat), but he was just a small 12 pounds back then. And yet he still managed to survive, despite all the warnings that chocolate kills dogs. In fact, he didn't show any symptoms at all - had I not been living on my own, I would've been convinced that somebody else ate it and was simply framing my puppy. I've since learned that he absolutely LOVES chocolate (and most sweet stuff, really - he had a bit of fruit salad yesterday - but few things make beg as much as chocolate does.

And once in a while I'll give my little buddy a bit of beer. He loves beer, and hoppy ones are definitely among his favorites. The hilarious part is that he won't touch BMC. At all. He'll give any macrobrewed light lager a sniff, and then ignore it. My Pliny clone was probably the most eagerly consumed. Oddly, he also hates liver, and will eat nice Hungarian salami, but not cheap all-beef salami (I am the same). It's pretty funny, but my little guy actually seems to have a better, more discerning palate than most humans do!

Granted, when I intentionally give him "bad" stuff, I give him a very small amount, but he's had enormous amounts of many of these things in the past. He's had chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, apricot, and (obviously) beer, and never shown symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say chocolate (or hops) isn't bad for dogs - in fact, I'm quite familiar with the pharmacological effects of some of the chemicals in these foods - just that I think many of our furry friends are able to handle such things much better than we often give them credit for. Chocolate, for instance, isn't really "poisonous" to dogs any more than tea is poisonous to us. They just have a pretty strong response to the chemical theobromine, which is extremely similar to caffeine (and is even a metabolite of it), which makes it fairly easy for them to overdose on it, which isn't too different from a caffeine overdose. And like caffeine, if a dog consumes just a moderate amount of theobromine (keep in mind that "moderate" is an entirely relative term), there's no real harm done.

Now, I'm not advocating giving your dogs "bad" foods (and if you decide to do so, never just go ahead and give them several times more than they've had in the past - take it very slow)... but the warnings about these foods ate generally *way* overly-cautious, and with very good reason. But the point is really just that panicking or excessive worrying is usually totally unwarranted. Unless the dog consumed an *actual* poison, it's typically best to just keep an eye out for symptoms that would suggest a toxic dose of the food in question.

Thanks for the update. Glad everything is fine. I thought about your dog several times yesterday. I know my buddy is a family member and we never want to see them hurt. I think he should get the first taste of the dog drool when it's ready.

Chocolate doesn't kill dogs outright. It weakens their heart muscle.

moondog said:
Chocolate doesn't kill dogs outright. It weakens their heart muscle.

It can do both, actually. Again, the offending chemical in chocolate acts pretty much like caffeine, and in small enough doses is *completely* harmless to dogs (as caffeine is to us), but in high enough doses, they can stimulate the cardiovascular system so much that permanent damage or even death can result.

The thing is, for anywhere near that level of stimulation to occur, you'd definitely notice something going on. It's certainly not a "silent" killer. You'd have a dog that is so hyperactive that it actually seems painfully uncomfortable, and yet somehow unable to just stop and relax. It'd be like you or me drinking several dozen cups of coffee all at once.

Not saying you should give chocolate to your dog, just that owners who might give them a little bit (whether intentionally or not) aren't necessarily doing any harm. The behavioral effects would be immediately concerning to any owner at doses far lower than what's required for even mild cardiotoxicity. So if an owner insists that chocolate has (so far) been completely harmless for their dog, you can actually pretty safely assume that they are correct.

We should be careful when comparing a dog eating a bar of chocolate to a dog eating a bag of hops. Yes the theobromine in chocolate is toxic for dogs at high levels, and can induce symptoms similar to those brought on by ingesting hops (malignant hyperthermia) such as restlessness, nausea, tremors, heavy panting, vomiting, etc. However, for the amount that is needed to be toxic, it seems hops can be much more dangerous overall.

Hops induced Malignant Hyperthermia in Dogs
Dangerous Foods for Dogs. Are You Loving Your Dog to Death ... Literally?

While the symptoms can be similar, the prognosis and treatment may be vastly different.

Back