Does yeast affect beer color? Brewed a split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons and split it between 2 carboys. On the left we have a yeast cake of SafAle WB-06 from a brew I bottled 5 days ago. On the right we have WLP-300.

I racked nearly over ounce of beer from the carboy Tuesday before pouring the new darker wort in.

Can yeast change the color of your brew? Or will using a yeast cake from a 7.6 SRM cause your 13.5 SRM wort to end up a with an 8 or 9 SRM?

Yes, suspended yeast will affect your beer's clarity. It tends to give your beer a hazy or cloudy appearance, especially WLP300.
I do doubt that yeast brewed in a lower SRM beer will will significantly alter the darker wort's final color once it settles out, although as the beer clears, it will get lighter due to flocculating yeast dropping down.
I haven't used WB06 dry yeast, though. I tend to do German-style wheats primarily with liquid WLP300.

Ok thanks. It will be interesting to see the color change over the next several weeks. :)

Latest posts

Back