Does weast 1007 have to stay cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokenjoke

Reaction score
I'd go to the Yeast threads but I receive better answers here. I've searched everywhere and can't anything consistent in an answer. I have a Sam Adams clone fermenting at 64F using Wyeast 1007. I'd like to leave it in the primary for 3weeks so my plan is to take it out of the fridge after 2 weeks, raising the temperature to 70F to make room and dry hop when there is about 3 or 4 days remaining. I have done this in the past with a wheat beer but from what I have read, this yeast likes it cold for 3 to 6 months to keep off-flavors and a variity of hee bee jee bees away. I don't want to be impatient so I'm looking for some experience with this yeast.

Thanks.

I guess you are making a Sam Adam Boston Ale clone, not a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone, correct? Or maybe a Sam Adams wheat of some kind? Wyeast 1007 is generally used in wheat beers, however, so I'm not sure why someone would recommend it for a Sam Adams.

Wyeast 1007 is an ale yeast, so you wouldn't ferment for 3-6 months. Optimum ferm temp is 55-68F, so you are right in the wheelhouse at 64.

I think you may have mistaken this for a lager strain. As an ale strain, this ferm should be completed pretty quickly. Leave it at 64 for about a week, then move it to a room temp closest for about another 2 weeks to batch condition, and then you should then be ready to bottle/keg.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=150

Yes it is an SA Ale clone. The yeast was suggested to me because they were out of what the recipe called for.
Thanks for the guidance though, I feel much better.

i just used this on a oktoberfest ale - 4 weeks into primary now, will be kegging and pseudo lagering soon

unfortunately due to unexpected spike in temps here and being away for several prime hours of initial fermentation my temps got crazy high up into the low to mid 70's

i've had 1 sample from a gravity check last weekend and was expecting to taste nothing but esters and fruitiness but couldn't really taste them - i'm hoping it stays that way once its conditioned and carbonated

i would think that after a few weeks at 64° and primary fermentation is completed that you will be ok in avoiding esters

Back