Does Trub Impact Beer Volume When Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
Looked everywhere for an answer, but couldn't find one. This is not a question of whether trub results in loss, as it obviously does. In my case, I made a 5.25 beer, and now the volume is sitting at 5 gal on bottling day, which is about what I expected. However, given that there's about a two inch thick amount of trub at the bottom, which appears to be about a half gallon in my primary bucket, should I calculate then that I have 4.5 gals, or is it still still 5 gal of liquid volume?

One could easily say, just see what the volume is once you transfer to a bottling bucket, but I don't do that. I have a MoreBeer bucket that has a sediment blocker and spigot, so I bottle from my primary. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks! I actually bottled before I saw this and anticipated 5 gallons. I go for 2.0 CO2 volume, so I'll be ok either way (a half gallon discrepancy appears to equal about 1/10 of 1 point of CO2 when aiming for about 2.0 volumes). Good to know for the future.

Last edited:
Back