Does this seem right? Hop harvest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBrewer

Reaction score
I recently harvested the hops off of my nugget plant. I only got 1 oz. of dried hops total off of the plant. It is only two years old now. Does this seem about right for my plant. Here are the details of how it is grown. I live in Maryland first of all to give you an idea of the climate zone it was grown in. The plant is grown in a 16in. planter with potting soil. I only fed it once through the growing season with organic food pellets. I put a pile of compost on it before winter. I also noticed some of the buds died before creating cones. I monitored the plant through the spring and summer for aphids and other pests. The only pests were flies and ants which didn't seem to harm the plant. Please help me determine if this is norm and I should be patient or if I am missing something to get a better yield from my plant.

I have three third year potted Fuggles plants that I have yet to find a permanent home. I also have a dozen third year Centennial, Cascade and Chinook, planted in beds. All of the plants have always looked very healthy. But, the bedded hops have produced prodigiously each year and this year will be the best yet. Meanwhile, the poor Fuggles barely produce enough to bother harvesting.

Imo, if you really want to produce something to harvest, you need to bed those plants...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling it was because I planted in a planter. Now I just need to find space for a hop garden.

Yea your always going to be limited until its out of a planter. You can probably trick it into producing more flowers by fertilizing it with Miracle Gro consistently every week or two. Other than that its really root bound in that pot so the amount of energy it can send to flowers is restricted.

Back