Does this look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tompither

Reaction score
My first brew has been in primary fermentation for three weeks. I've opened it a few times to check OG. There is still some yeast floating around just under the surface and a little bit of froth/bubble patches on the top. Not sure if this is normal or a sign of something gone wrong. Smells fine.

20140703_171704.jpg

20140703_171651.jpg

It's all completely normal, your brew looks fine from here.

Looks pretty normal. Now stop opening the fermenter up!

+1. Also, if it's been 3 weeks and you've taken OG readings I would think you could go ahead and bottle it. Were the readings consistent over a couple of days?

Looks fine to me. I always rack to a secondary and I've noticed that while in the secondary the tops always look different. Some have no 'foamies' while others have them just around the edges. Some have the foamies all over the top.

I'm not going to get worried until I have what looks like a mold on there. All mine have been fine.

woohoo. Think I'll go ahead and bottle it at the weekend. OG readings are static at 1.010

Can't wait to taste it.

Is there anything I can do with the dregs left over at the bottom of the bin when I've bottled it?

I'm intending on getting another brew going straight away

And what you're looking for at this point is FG. OG is Original Gravity. Looks normal, so if it's at a stable FG, bottle it up!

woohoo. Think I'll go ahead and bottle it at the weekend. OG readings are static at 1.010

Can't wait to taste it.

Is there anything I can do with the dregs left over at the bottom of the bin when I've bottled it?

I'm intending on getting another brew going straight away

You could try yeast washing if you wanted to save that yeast for another beer Depending on what beer you currently have on the cake and what beer you are doing next you can rack your new beer onto the old cake.

Info that would help decide that is:

What yeast was used
OG of original beer
Style of original (possibly the recipe)

OG for new beer
desired yeast

Back