Does this look infected to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
Well I kept this in the primary for 2 weeks and it has been in the secondary for almost three now. I was planning on bottling this weekend, but the past week I have seen this white stuff, almost like big grains of salt at the top. I'm not sure of the make up of this stuff, but when I took the gravity last week just to see if I had lost any more points the beer tasted ok. The fermentation temp probably gave it its fusel alcohols, but I can't complain for a first brew. My fermentation cabinet should help solve that problem. I was diligent in sanitizing everything throughout the whole process. Oh well, you can only learn from your mistakes, right? If it is infected, should I still bottle and let age? Thanks guys.

Random011.jpg

You're fine.

Bottle and let age for around a month.

In the end, if it tastes like ass, dump it and move on.

Chances are it will be fine. No big deal.

Sounds good, I wonder if there is a way that I could 'filter' those out to make sure they don't get racked to the secondary. Maybe run it through a sanitized strainer to the bottling bucket. I'm sure I will figure something out.

if you run it through some sort of strainer out of the siphon you will most likely airate your beer and then it will taste like ass.just siphon from the bottom and stop before the "salt" gets too close.

None of the infections from fermenting beer can hurt anyone anyway, so, if it tastes like crap, throw it out. But, it looks like yeast anyway.

Yeah, it was steady three weeks ago at 1.014 and it was 1.014 again last week in the secondary.

So since the FG is steady, I am assuming that I should just go ahead and bottle.

Back