Does the depth of your submerged blow-off tube effect yeast activity/by-products?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Here's a thought: My blow-off hose usually sits about 8 inches submerged in sanitizer during primary fermentation. I usually switch to a bubbler once vigorous activity has subsided, but I wonder if the depth of my tube is creating excessive pressure on the yeast during primary fermentation. Does anyone know if there are any direct effects on yeast activity/by-product synthesis based on the depth of submergence of your blow-off tube? Does it depend on yeast strain? Any literature/forums that discuss this?

TIA

I don't know about pressure on the activity of the yeast.

But, why are you using so much sanitizer? If you have a big cool off after fermentation slows you could create a reverse siphon sucking that into the fermenter. There are many threads about this.

I use 1/2 inch in a margarine container, just enough to keep the end of the tube submerged. Then if I get suck back it is less than 1/2 cup of liquid, not a gallon......

I have never understood this. People use a gallon of sanitizer with the blow off setup but rely on about an ounce in an airlock!?!?!?

I don't know about pressure on the activity of the yeast.

But, why are you using so much sanitizer? If you have a big cool off after fermentation slows you could create a reverse siphon sucking that into the fermenter. There are many threads about this.

I use 1/2 inch in a margarine container, just enough to keep the end of the tube submerged. Then if I get suck back it is less than 1/2 cup of liquid, not a gallon......

I have never understood this. People use a gallon of sanitizer with the blow off setup but rely on about an ounce in an airlock!?!?!?

My ferm temp is controlled so I've never experienced suck-back from a temp drop. Additionally, I switch my blow-off to an airlock once fermentation has slowed considerably.

Back