Does my new plant have powdery or downy mildew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahT

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to hop growing and we purchased these plants from High Hop Farms. They came to us looking great, green and healthy. A few weeks later:

hop mildew.jpg

My bet would be mites. Check under the leaves for them. cottony type webs. Sometimes you can see them moving under the leaf.

It sort of looks the same on the other side. Here are some more pictures.

0829151941.jpg

0829151940a.jpg

It does look like mite damage to me as well. As was said before, you will see small webs on the undersides of the extremely damaged leaves. With small plants, spraying the underside of the leaves to knock off the mites seems to work on many plants. I also remove the heavily damaged leaves to prevent contamination of the new leaves.

I do not know how well hops handle leaf removal or water spraying, but usually those treatments wont harm plants if the issue is not mites.

I think that's a nutrient deficiency. I'd try a light feeding with a good all purpose fertilizer

Latest posts

Back