Does my first all grain pale ale recipe look ok.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I have never done a pale ale all grain recipe before and was just wondering if a few of you can look at it and let me know if it looks ok.

10lbs 2 row
1lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs vienna malt
.5 lbs cara pils

.5 oz centennial 60 min
.5 oz centennial 45 min
1 oz cascade 30 min
.5 oz cascade 15 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min

Irish moss 10 min
Safale- 05

Do you already have the 2 row? If not, I'd recommend switching to a different base malt like Pale Ale malt or Marris Otter. If so, don't worry - it'll still be great with 2 row.

And maybe switch the crystal & vienna? (1# vienna, 0.5#crystal?) But that's just splitting hairs.

I might bump back your hop additions. Without plugging in your numbers, I'd bet you're pushing 50 IBUs. Bumping back will obviously lower IBU and increase flavor/aroma.

I'd cut out the carapils, as it's not needed with that grainbill. Otherwise, I like the grainbill.

I'd change the hopping. Remember that any hops added before about 20 minutes before the end of the boil increase bittering, but give little flavor and no aroma. APAs aren't terribly bitter- they have a distinct hops flavor that comes from additions at 15 minutes and 5 or 0 minutes.

I'd hop like this:

1 oz centennial 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 5 min

Thanks guys! Great advice on the hops. You were right after plugging it in I was up around 56 IBU's. I have not bought the grain yet so I will switch it to Marris Otter. As far as the cara pils go if I remove them will I still get good head retention? Or will the other grains add enough? This has one thing I have struggled with. Getting good head retention that is. But thanks for the great advice.

So the new hop additions put me at 31 IBU's. Much better. I have about .25 lbs of crystal 60 left from my last batch. Do you think it would be worth adding
Or would it just be a waste and not really do much? Thanks again.

What's your estimated OG? Again, just guessing, but with 12# already you've got to be over 1.050, maybe even 1.060. On the high end of an APA, pushing into IPA range. If you've already got it, you can use it and buy less crystal 40.

Thanks guys! Great advice on the hops. You were right after plugging it in I was up around 56 IBU's. I have not bought the grain yet so I will switch it to Marris Otter. As far as the cara pils go if I remove them will I still get good head retention? Or will the other grains add enough? This has one thing I have struggled with. Getting good head retention that is. But thanks for the great advice.

I use US 2 row for American pale ales, as I think the maris otter may be too bready, warm, and more malty flavored. If you go with the maris otter, I'd take out the Vienna malt.

More crystal is not mo' better! Less is more, usually, with crystal malt. Use no more than a pound or so total, and probably less if you decide on the maris otter malt.

OG is at 1.059. just to correct my self I kept the 1st hop addition at.5oz and changed the cascade additions to 1oz each at 15 and 5 min to get 32 IBU's.

I use US 2 row for American pale ales, as I think the maris otter may be too bready, warm, and more malty flavored. If you go with the maris otter, I'd take out the Vienna malt.

More crystal is not mo' better! Less is more, usually, with crystal malt. Use no more than a pound or so total, and probably less if you decide on the maris otter malt.

Here here. Totally agree. I love the bready/warm/malty, hence the MO suggestion. But if you're going for an APA, using British Malt (Marris) seems treasonous. I love Briess Pale Ale malt for APAs (or 2 row as Yoop said, but I love the extra bready/malty from Pale Ale malt). Have you ever had Goose Island Green Line? They use Briess Pale Ale malt.

I have not had Green line yet. But after thinking about it I will just stick with 2 row I usually get. I always seem to get a good recipe together and then start over thinking things and wanting to change everything...LOL.... I will stick with the first grain bill and take the cara pils out and go with Yoopers hop additions. Thanks again for all your help.

If you are looking for something similar to Sierra Nevada APA it's bitterness is 37 IBU's just fyi. That is what my current APA in primary is shooting for. :) Good luck!

Back