Does my beer look ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIT_MAN

Reaction score
I just checked the brew to do a hydrometer reading and noticed this on top. I still can't get the hefe below 1.020 either. I used a Fermentis WB-06 yeast. I have been stuck on 1.020 for the last 5 days and now I'm on day 13 in the primary. Here's the pictures.

Is this normal or something wrong with the beer. Look at the massive amount of trub on the sides.

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

Looks like some clumps of yeast, nothing to worry about. Is this an extract hefe? Quite possible that it's done and it's not going lower. It happens sometimes.

Well the pictures look like you brewed beer! Those are most likely yeast colonies hanging out on top of the beer. Then again it could something else. Did you taste your hydro sample?

Best advice, relax...

Edit: What he said! ^^^

Looks like some clumps of yeast, nothing to worry about. Is this an extract hefe? Quite possible that it's done and it's not going lower. It happens sometimes.

Yes, it was an extract kit. I did mash some oat and caramel wheat to add some body. If that is yeast clumped on top should I try to stir it in and break it up? Will, it try to eat more of the sugars or is my yeast pretty much done?

One of the drawbacks (my experience) when using extract is that I don't get the final gravity down where I'm used to it being when I do an all-grain batch. For my typical pale ale (approx. 1.058) using grain my final gravities are in the 1.008 to 1.010 range but with DME I will finish in the mid to high teens. If you used extract, I suspect that that is just where your final gravity landed. What was the original gravity?
mark
Beer Diary...

At this point I would have to say that is pretty much done. I would stir it as you would risk oxidizing the beer. If the hydro sample stays at 1.020 for a few days it is done. What was you OG?

I have only done a couple of batches so far, but both of them had that same trub on the sides of the pail as well. I think you are fine. RDWHAHB!

Looks great! Don't stir. Cover it back up and wait until you're ready to bottle. It might drop a couple of more points. It might not. How's it taste?

Looks great! Don't stir. Cover it back up and wait until you're ready to bottle. It might drop a couple of more points. It might not. How's it taste?

It tasted a little bitter but hefe's taste a little bitter when they are young. I'm going to let it sit for another 2 weeks before I bottle.

Looks normal to me as well...some yeasts are butt ugly during and after fermentation.

Thats not a nice thing to say about the colonies who make your sugars into beer.

Now take it back!
-Me

I bottled my hefe last night and that is exactly what it looked like. Very similar situation for me... My FG was 1.018 after a month in primary. It was supposed to finish at 1.012; Im really not too worried because my OG was about .08 too high so the ABV should still be about what its supposed to be.

I bet your beer will be just fine.

Same thing for me on my last batch, extract dark beer with a starting gravity of 1.050 and and it finished up around 1.020 so I would not worry at all. Let her rest so the yeast finish up their work and bottle away. I am sure it will be a great brew.

With a starting gravity of 1.048 you may be looking at another problem. What was the temp. during fermentation? Was it consistent. I have had an ale yeast quit fermenting too early because I tried to ferment in the high 50's to low 60's. It started out great but just couldn't keep going. It was also a problem rousting it later. Could low temps. be the problem?
mark
Beer Diary...

With a starting gravity of 1.048 you may be looking at another problem. What was the temp. during fermentation? Was it consistent. I have had an ale yeast quit fermenting too early because I tried to ferment in the high 50's to low 60's. It started out great but just couldn't keep going. It was also a problem rousting it later. Could low temps. be the problem?
mark
Beer Diary...

No, I fermented at 72* consistently. I'm stumped as why it would stop at that point.

Back