Does head space in bottle cause oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
I brought my beer to a friend's party this past weekend (the first three batches I ever made) and it went over pretty well. :D

My lager, however, has a bit of a burnt caramel/brown sugar taste to it. A friend of a friend distributes beer and he claims that the burnt caramel/brown sugar is due to oxidation from the head space in the bottle.

Now, it could very well be oxidation (the lager was my first batch of beer EVER) but I didn't think the inch or so of head space you leave in the bottle does anything to the beer.

Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

I doubt your friends friend knows what he's talking about. I've never heard of this being an issue.

Also, the flavors you mention don't really sound like oxydation to me.

How did you go about brewing your lager? Was it actually lagered? Was it fermented cold? If not, you could have other problems causing these off flavors.

Well, it was my very first brew ever and when I saw "lager" I did everything one should with lager. It was in the low 50s dF fermenting for about 5-6 weeks. It was around 40dF (as low as my fridge would go) for about 6-8 weeks lagering. It has now been in bottles for 8 weeks now.

I didn't learn until it was already lagering for 8 weeks that a Calfornia lager is a steam beer which ferments at ale temps.

A couple people on here, however, said that it wouldn't matter, it would still turn out fine.

Also, a few people said that it was actually okay; I'm the one who's being picky. I went out and bought more than a few different lagers to taste just to see how mine compares, how mine turned out. I actually tasted a couple which tasted a bit like mine...

At any rate, it's potable and alcoholic and my first batch so I'm going to drink it with pride!

Oxidation can occur, in bottling, but head space isn't usually the culprit. Usually its caused when you transfer to a bottling bucked or secondary and it splashes around. Thats the main cause. Also, bottle caps aren't 100% effective at keeping oxygen out, except it takes a long time for oxygen to get in through the seal (i.e. a year or more), so thats probably not the issue. Also, head space fills with CO2 as it comes out of solution as you fill the bottle, so if you let your beer sit after filling the bottle with a cap on it, you'll start to hear the caps jiggling around on the top of the bottles. Thats from CO2 coming out of solution. Since CO2 is heavier than O2, it naturally purges the bottle. Headspace, if in the adequate range of about 1" is fine and should not be a source of oxidation. Be careful transferring, thats probably the culprit if its oxidation.

Transferring was probably the culprit. I did transfer to a secondary by means of a "trick" I got from the guy at the LHBS. I didn't get a good flow of beer going in the siphon (the "trick" was a bad idea) and I fear some air got in that way.

Speaking of oxygen in the beer: how do you get an auto siphon going without getting some air in there? I practiced with a carboy full of water first but the first few pumps of the auto siphon there was definitely air. The only way I found was the really give it two good, strong pumps and even then there was a small amount of bubbles in there...

The air getting into the auto siphon can come from the hose / siphon connection. Make sure the hose is far enough on the racking cane.

For me, just one pump is enough. I just raise the moving part (piston) above the liquid level while the whole thing is completely in the carboy/bucket, and then lower the piston in one move.

Back