Does Fermcap S clog your liver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstigedy

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned something the need to filter out Fermcap S out of beer for commercial applications because of the risk of clogging up your liver. Anyone know anything about this? Any risks to using it at the 1-2 drop per gallon rate for homebrew? I typically use this in the brew kettle.

Copied and pasted from:

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/3661/what-is-fermcap-s-and-what-does-it-do

The FDA has recently decided that Fermcap S should be filtered before you drink your beer. Fortunately, there's Fermcap AT which is fine to use without filtering.

Here's some info from Birko, which makes a product very much like Fermcap..

"Brewers should not use silicone-containing antifoam for unfiltered beers. The FDA allows active silicone to be used up to 10 parts-per-million (ppm) but stipulates that the silicone must be removed prior to packaging by either filtration or centrifugation. In the case of unfiltered beers, use a food grade, non-silicone antifoam. We sell a food grade, canola oil based antifoam that works well for this purpose and has an added benefit of being yeast-friendly at the same time. Look for my article on antifoams in the brewery in the July/August issue of The New Brewer. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this or any other matter further.

Cheers!

Dana Johnson Brewery Technical Representative BIRKO Corporation Henderson, Colorado www.birkocorp.com:

I really doubt a few drops of anything in 5+ gallons of boiling liquid will do anything to your liver. Seems pretty far fetched.

Here's some info from Birko, which makes a product very much like Fermcap..

Yeah, I'm not real big on someone telling you what's gonna kill you in their competitor's product. Particularly when the alternative is an "oil-based" product, which we already know decreases head retention. Not that they mention it in the press release.

I really doubt a few drops of anything in 5+ gallons of boiling liquid will do anything to your liver. Seems pretty far fetched.

There's a lot of things that only a few drops can kill you. But, not to turn this into a pro/con thing on fermcap. But even on line vendors have warnings on their sites about using more than the recommended amount. Regardless, I'm not putting it in my brew. Personal choice, but I don't have a need for it. Over sized pots and blow-offs on your fermenters negate it's use.

"Usage: 1-2 drops per gallon. Do not exceed this dosage or your beer will exceed FDA limitations for silicon content.
CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed. Causes eye irritation. "

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_187_399&products_id=10388

I think some people add 2 drops per gallon to the boil, and than also add 2 drops per gallon to the primary (sometimes multiple times). I stopped using it awhile ago

not a big fan of adding chemicals to my beer if I don't have to. Especially something that seems so trivial like a foam controller. Sorry. Use good headspace in your fermenters and don't pitch/ferment at 80 degrees (unless making saison of course)

What about keg lube? Isn't that silicone grease? I'm sure some of it makes it into the beer.

Oh, be still my heart! Here we have yet another internet myth aborning. Someone with an obvious invidious interest in this says something negative about Fermcap-S, and it will inevitably be taken as scripture by some. I've actually gotten better at just ignoring this stuff, but this sets off such immediate and glaring alarm bells that I have to respond.

So:

1. Fermcap-S, it is contended, is some kind of health risk.

2. Fermcap-S is basically the same as various anti-gas preparations sold in the drugstore, Gas-X, and the like, "simethicone" being one of the names for this substance.

3. If it's a health hazard, how can it be legal to sell in all these medications?

I think that about covers it.

Then there's something I read in another thread that says that this stuff all goes right to the bottom of the fermenter and is thrown out with the trub in any case......

Oh, be still my heart! Here we have yet another internet myth aborning. Someone with an obvious invidious interest in this says something negative about Fermcap-S, and it will inevitably be taken as scripture by some. I've actually gotten better at just ignoring this stuff, but this sets off such immediate and glaring alarm bells that I have to respond.

So:

2. Fermcap-S is basically the same as various anti-gas preparations sold in the drugstore, Gas-X, and the like, "simethicone" being one of the names for this substance.

3. If it's a health hazard, how can it be legal to sell in all these medications?

Then there's something I read in another thread that says that this stuff all goes right to the bottom of the fermenter and is thrown out with the trub in any case......

I hate to use chemicals in my brew, but i have to control the foam, so I don't have a choice. But in terms of your points above, I wouldn't rely on that. In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty easy for drug companies to get things passed when they want them. And often times it's at our expense. And before everyone jumps on me about "conspiracy theory this and that", it's not; unfortunately it's just the bad side of business.

Anyway, what are some alternatives?

What about keg lube? Isn't that silicone grease? I'm sure some of it makes it into the beer.

I've only used petroleum-based keg lube. It's 100% food safe. Not so sure silicone-based ones are, though.... I'd rather not put window caulking in contact with my beer.

So:

1. If you use too much, yes, it can be a health risk. (Most people use the proper dosage, so no harm, no foul....I guess)

2. I don't put beano or Gas-x in my brews either, so what's your point?

3. It's not a health hazzard (says the government :rolleyes:) if used as directed.

No internet myth. Can it cause health problems if not used correctly? Yes. People can use what ever they want. There's no reason to go off about it.

Use good headspace in your fermenters and don't pitch/ferment at 80 degrees (unless making saison of course)

Hmm, well, apparently two gallons extra head space and 67 degrees was not enough for my foreign extra stout...WITH Fermcap S. First blow-off I've had in years! :mug:

So, why am I suddenly hearing about this now and I go to look it up and see stuff about it from over a year ago on other sites?!?!

Back