Does BeerSmith adjust for longer boil times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2LiveBrews18

Reaction score
I had a recipe that had 90 minute boil, a planned OG of 1.077 & 5 gal collected..
Our pre-boil measurement was around 7.6 gal

It ended up at 1.068 OG , and around 4.6 gal.
Does BeerSmith adjust it's calculations to account for the longer boil like I had originally input - or do I have to adjust it manually somewhere else?
All my water measurements were right on with the mash and sparge. If our boil was a little agressive could that have had an impact on it? At some points it seemed like it was a bit more than a 'rolling' boil and more like a bubbling boil.

Any help is always much appreciated.

It does adjust the starting boil volume automatically depending on the boil time. I don't recall if it is enabled by default or not, but right the date and version fields on the main recipe tab you'll see a checkbox option for "Calc Boil Vol"

you gotta set up your Profile in your Kettle wrt Boil/off per hour and your standard boil time; then the box has to be checked.

I find I need to double check everything one more time before I print.. Sometimes, things which where checked/correct.... change? Maybe it's me w/all my clicking around?

Ok, I see that.. But when I change from 60 to 90 minutes on boil, nothing much changes other than the IBUs. Gravity stays the same, etc.

In the mash section it says Total Mash Water: 4.84 , which is what I did.
But then down at to the right of that it says Mash Volume Needed: 6.05
What's that mean? And which one do we follow?

you gotta set up your Profile in your Kettle wrt Boil/off per hour and your standard boil time; then the box has to be checked.

I find I need to double check everything one more time before I print.. Sometimes, things which where checked/correct.... change? Maybe it's me w/all my clicking around?

Can you tell me exactly how to do this? I'd love to make this recipe again the correct way. Even though right now, it smells and looks amazing!! Yet I'd still like it to come out at the 8.9% I was hoping for , instead of the 7.6% we're headed for now.

Back