Does anyone know of 1" diameter 4500w 240v heater elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm banging my head into the keyboard trying to source this size. I initially purchased Camco 240v 4500w heaters but the thread dia. is 1 3/8. I am waiting to pull the trigger on my keggle work because I am having issues getting the right size element for a 1" half coupling. My other thought would be to find nuts that match the 1 3/8" and have those welded on.

Please help me so I can get my rig up and running.

Thanks

Flananuts

Most water heater elements are straight thread as opposed to pipe thread which is narrower at end of pipe and gets thicker. Having said that, I have one element in a 1" NPT bushing and it fits fine and hasn't leaked so far, I wrapped it a few times in teflon tape.

1" screw in elements dont exist. All screw in type water heater elements are 1.375" diameter. They all are. You can use a 1" straight thread nut from Bargainfittings.com and the supplied seal to install the element in a kettle. But all elements are the same size, 1.375"

1" couplings fit, it is all in how they are measured. Remember as Bakins said, they are STRAIGHT thread, not TAPER like most pipe threads.

I have just been through this same issue. I found that the water heater element is a 1 inch straight thread. The only thing I was able to find that has this same thread is 1 inch electrical conduit. So you could use a conduit coupler if that would work in your situation. The trouble is that conduit will likely be either galvanized or PVC and neither would be good for a product made for human consumption (Beer)

I did find 1 other item with the same thread and am considering the potential of it. In the same aisle as the water heater elements is a "repair fitting" or something to that effect. It is a small stamping with the 1 inch square thread and 4 smaller holes for bolting to a water heater.

My thoughts were to cut the thread section out of the "repair fitting" and either Braise, or Silver Solider the threaded part to a piece of copper tubing.

Sounds like a lot of effort. I have been hoping I would find a better solution in the meantime.

Thanks for the input. Now I don't have to hold off on getting my kegs and getting this project finished. I think I'm going to have a nut welded on and counter bore a bit to get a nice seal.

I used a 1" coupling in all mine and the elements screwed right in an dont leak.
you dont need any nut. Hope this helps.

From CAMCO site pdf:

"Today, all manufacturers of residential water heaters use only Screw-in style elements. This style provides for easy installation and serviceability because it screws into a spud welded directly on the tank of the water heater. The thread is a 1" (diameter) x 11-1/2 NPSM thread and is standard for all residential water heaters that use screw-in elements.

EXCEPTION: For a period of time, State Industries manufactured a Duron brand heater that used a 1-3/8" thread. These elements are not interchangeable with the standard 1" threaded element."

http://www.camco.net/assets/catalog/Troubleshooting.pdf

just use a little thread tape and screw them in as far as they will go the different threads will actually make for a better seal

I'm banging my head into the keyboard trying to source this size. I initially purchased Camco 240v 4500w heaters but the thread dia. is 1 3/8. I am waiting to pull the trigger on my keggle work because I am having issues getting the right size element for a 1" half coupling. My other thought would be to find nuts that match the 1 3/8" and have those welded on.

Please help me so I can get my rig up and running.

Thanks

Flananuts

Just to make sure this is clear - a 1" pipe thread (which is what is on the element) has a thread diamenter of 1.315". You more than likely do have a 1" element - just try screwing it into a 1" pipe half coupling to double check. The element should screw far enough into the coupler to seal on the gasket/washer.

Back