Does anyone have a good way to label their vittles vaults?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I’d like to be able to put something on the outside of my vittles vaults to keep track of what is what, some sort of label or something. Anyone have a solution that looks good and works well? I’d rather not just sharpie them lol

that'd be a good one, could update qtys as used easy....
It's probably not a good idea as over time the stuff that makes it erase fades/disappears. The longer left up, it becomes harder to erase. The markers can stain too, they aren't made for all surfaces.

I just use old fashioned masking tape, almost as you suggested.

ahh, just for the gloss paint metal boards....
Yeah I can't remember at the moment exactly what surface I tried it on but I do remember it was a complete fail getting it off. I was building something(?) and thought it would work instead of a pencil to mark something. Now you can get old dry erase off and even sharpie ink sometimes by using a dry erase marker on it. Haven't tried a magic eraser on either to know how well that works. The dye though can soak into the material.

They do work on glass (I have moved up to a glass white board), but there are specific markers which work a little better for that surface.

I’d like to be able to put something on the outside of my vittles vaults to keep track of what is what, some sort of label or something. Anyone have a solution that looks good and works well? I’d rather not just sharpie them lol
I use different colored painters tape to color code my various grains and a sharpie pen on the tape when necessary.
For example, all base grains start with a blue strip of tape and I add other colors for the specific type, ie, yellow for pale two row, orange for MO, two yellows for pale ale malt, purple for pils.
Easy to remove when needed.

I likewise use a label printer, though mine is a DYMO 4200 which adds some handy features like ability to print onto heat-shrink tubing--but for this application, none of that's all that important.

No issue with other people's approaches but painter's tape and sharpie is the way in my opinion. Bottles, kegs, grain buckets, etc. Easy to use and easy to remove. Especially for things you don't need to make look classy.

I use blue tape and sharpy for everything.
Wide roll of blue painters tape is great for a lot of things. I use it to reseal the smaller bags of open grains. Also use it to write on labels for 2 liter green soda bottles I re-use as cheap growlers to transport homebrew. Nothing fancy, but it works great. I think I've had the same roll for 6+ years.

~HopSing.

Two solutions
1. Use a chalk pen (but it can easily rub off
2. Use clear packaging tape and write on it with a marker. Just pull the tape off and apply new tape as required

I wouldn’t use masking (or painters) tape
If it’s left on for a length of time it can be an absolute ***** to get off. (If you can get it all off)

that'd be a good one, could update qtys as used easy....
I've got several Vittle Vaults that contain a wide variety of base malts and specialty malts in different quantities. I usually purchase bulk base grains in 5~10 lbs. quantities that come individually sealed. For specialty grains I usually order 1~3 lbs. quantities. I maintain a spreadsheet of the grains in each Vittle Vault and update them whenever I use some grains, and print up a new sheet and leave it inside the Vault to identify the contents at a glance. Any unused grains get stored in resealable vacuum bags. I also keep a running master spreadsheet of all the grains in all the combined Vittle Vaults so I know what I have on hand when I get ready to brew or formulate a recipe. I'm really not very anal about it, but I do like being organized and not buying something that I already have on hand. Same thing goes for hops in the freezer as well as yeast samples, both frozen and refrigerated starters.

O.K., maybe I am a little anal.

I maintain a spreadsheet of the grains in each Vittle Vault and update them whenever I use some grains,

i was going to complement you on having a smooth system! but the first time i read it, i thought you had a excel spreadsheet, and auto formulas for a recipe to subtract from it it digitally?

i was going to complement you on having a smooth system! but the first time i read it, i thought you had a excel spreadsheet, and auto formulas for a recipe to subtract from it it digitally?
(sigh).

Yes. I do. I confess to maintaining Excel spreadsheets that autosum quantitative values. But I am seeking 'help' for my OCD.

Q: What is the clinical diagnosis of a person suffering from both Dyslexia and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
A: DOC.

I use the tan painters tape and a sharpie for just about everything. I put a strip on every carboy with 4 things - the batch name or beer type, the date brewed, the og, and the yeast. If I move my beer to another fermenter I just peel it off and stick it on. If I keg the beer I peel if off and stick it on the side of the keg just under the liquid post. If I bottle the beer I peel it off and stick it inside the lid of the cardboard box so I know whats in the box.

Back