Does anyone else use acid carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
I picked up a 6.5 gallon "acid" carboy over the summer and used it for the first time last weekend. This thing is HUGE! I think it's closer to 7.5 gallons.

Does anyone else use this style of carboy? Can you get airlocks that screw into the threads at the mouth of the carboy?

What is this "acid carbouy" you speak of? Did it contain acid at one time? If so, what type? I'd be more than a bit leery of using cast-off labware. Regards, GF.

What is this "acid carbouy" you speak of? Did it contain acid at one time? If so, what type? I'd be more than a bit leery of using cast-off labware. Regards, GF.
It's just a name for a 6.5 gal carboy, if you get them at a homebrew shop they should be brand new. Although, I do store stan san in mine from time to time, so I suppose it has contained acid before.

Yeah they are used for many chemicals in labs, not just acid, but that's how it got it's name. I used to work in the scientific storeroom on my college campus and all the chemicals the labs and stuff ordered came in those. Juts a 6.5 gallon screw top carboy.

Back