Does anyone else think Wyeast 3711 is a wine yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkshadow

Reaction score
I'm pretty convinced after using it on my apfelwein. It took it from 1.092 to .997 and I'm not sure it's even finished. I had a sample of it at .997 a couple days ago and I swear it tasted almost like chardonnay or another dry white wine.

I've googled and I can't find anything on its origin. Any thoughts, musings or conjecture?

I used that yeast in NB's Petite de Saison de ete'. Still had a little barnyard on the back. After a couple months in the bottles, it got a lil peppery quality on the back as well. Otherwise, tasted light & a bit like a farmhouse dampfbier.

Here's an interesting article describing the brewery where this yeast supposedly originates.

http://horscategoriebrewing.blogspot.com/2014_05_01_archive.html?m=1

Interesting read for sure. The author there thinks it is a mutated version of their yeast because that brewery's yeast never takes the gravity lower than 1.008 according to the brewer.

Everything I've read about it says the same thing. "It doesn't act like a typical beer yeast."

I'm not sure that I buy that it is just a mutated ale yeast.

Lest' you are working with bayanus strains, aren't all the variants mutations of Sacch. Cervisiae?

Yeah that's true. It's all different kinds of Cervisiae. I'm just putting it out there that it doesn't behave like a typical ale yeast. The way it behaves is like a wine yeast. I'd love to know more about it but the net is not very open with info. Maybe I'll write to Brasserie Thieriez and see what they can tell me about it.

Wine yeasts ferment simple sugars better than more complex ones, while 3711 doesn't really seem to care. Just putting that out there. Also it gets a little funkier in the bottle.

Interesting read for sure. The author there thinks it is a mutated version of their yeast because that brewery's yeast never takes the gravity lower than 1.008 according to the brewer.

Everything I've read about it says the same thing. "It doesn't act like a typical beer yeast."

I'm not sure that I buy that it is just a mutated ale yeast.

It will definitely take the FG down low, which is what I like about it.

Funny thread title. I never thought about that, but this yeast is a monster gobbler. Alarming, really. It could potentially ruin a beer with it's low final gravity.

Use it for a strong golden ale, for the win. I did. The last time I used it I made a Houblon Chouffe (belgian IIPA) and it came out terrific. It was full of strong fusels at first, but after a while it became a very, very good beer. The recipe is in my pulldown if anyone cares.

Thanks for posting that D-Train, and thanks to all that checked out my blog. I totally agree with all here that it doesn't behave like normal brewing yeast, but I suspect it is not a wine yeast. Wine yeasts generally have trouble fermenting longer chain sugars like maltotriose and that is the opposite of what this yeast does. Many think 3724 is mutated from a wine yeast and that fits with the classic stall out in the 1.020s to 1.030s people often experience with this yeast.

It could be something other than a mutation from the Thiriez strain, but Daniel confirmed to me that 3711 is supposed to be sourced from his yeast and 3711 definitely behaves differently from his.

Funny thread title. I never thought about that, but this yeast is a monster gobbler. Alarming, really. It could potentially ruin a beer with it's low final gravity.

Use it for a strong golden ale, for the win. I did. The last time I used it I made a Houblon Chouffe (belgian IIPA) and it came out terrific. It was full of strong fusels at first, but after a while it became a very, very good beer. The recipe is in my pulldown if anyone cares.

I have a belgian golden strong planned for my last pack of the yeast and I was a bit worried about the profile being off, but that's reassuring.

I've seen at least a couple people suggest that this yeast makes a really interesting Imperial Stout. I imagine this is true, since it would dry it out but add some complexity that blends with the dark malts and alcohol.

The high attenuation of this yeast is a little overstated, in my experience, due to glycerol production. I made a Belgian IPA with this one that ended up at 1.004. It was dry, but not overwhelmingly so, and had a nice mouthfeel that still stood up to the late-addition hops. This is actually my favorite application for this yeast.

That said, I'm not sure I'd want a wine fermented with 3711. But now I'm interested. Apfelwine, anyone?

That's about where my 1.084 beer ended up, at 1.005. I've used it for saisons, both alone and as a "finisher" after 3724. Voracious!

It's a beast, for sure! Did you get much flavor contribution when using it to finish up?

That said, I'm not sure I'd want a wine fermented with 3711. But now I'm interested. Apfelwine, anyone?

Talk to me in about 6-8 months and I'll have some ready. My brother has made apfelwein with it and not surprisingly he says it's very good.

It's a beast, for sure! Did you get much flavor contribution when using it to finish up?

I don't think so. 3724 was quite estery, so it's hard to say what I got from the 3711. I fermented the 3724 for a month, with at least a week or two in 90F. It just wouldn't get much below 1.020. 3711 finished it quickly.

I remember the strong golden having a slightly dank flavor from this yeast. It's been a while since I used it though, so I don't have much comment beyond that.

I pretty much always use it in combination with 3724, pitching both at primary because I don't want to mess around with waiting until 3724 may or may not stall to add the 3711. I do get some flavor contribution, and sometimes a surprising amount given that I use ~80% 3724 and ~20% 3711.

Talk to me in about 6-8 months and I'll have some ready. My brother has made apfelwein with it and not surprisingly he says it's very good.

That sounds great. I'll PM you my address. :)

The real test would be to try a white wine with it. Would be a fun expt.

I don't think so. 3724 was quite estery, so it's hard to say what I got from the 3711. I fermented the 3724 for a month, with at least a week or two in 90F. It just wouldn't get much below 1.020. 3711 finished it quickly.

I recently had a similar problem on a split batch using WLP566 and Yeast Bay's Wallonian Farmhouse. Both stuck, former 20's, latter 30 (OG- 1.061). Very weird. Added some sugar and they both finished up. I only mention bc I considered 3711 but didn't bc the goal was to compare the yeasts. Good to know for the future though.

Sorry. :off:

Back