Does Anyone Else Like the Skunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi there folks. So, like the question asks, does anyone else like the “skunky” taste of some beers like Grolsch or Heineken, or am I the one? I ask because I ordered a Grolsch today at lunch and all of my coworker started making skunk jokes. I actually like that taste (in some beer, obviously not all beer) and brew a Grolsch clone at home. What are your thoughts?
-Freddy

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I also enjoy it. I'm not convinced it's actually "skunked" beer either. I had Pilsner Urquell from a tap at a brew-fest last year and it was delightfully skunky. I think there's some flavor in the "noble" hops that come through that way. I'm with you!

I had Pilsner Urquell from a tap at a brew-fest last year and it was delightfully skunky.

Were you outdoors? Any beer (maybe not MGD or others made with light-stabilized hop extracts) will turn skunky in seconds in the glass under the sun. You detect it more easily in a delicate, hoppy pils.

Were you outdoors? Any beer (maybe not MGD or others made with light-stabilized hop extracts) will turn skunky in seconds in the glass under the sun. You detect it more easily in a delicate, hoppy pils.

Indeed, I was outdoors. Good point. I was also on my 15th or so sample....:drunk: So, who knows. Either way, I don't mind it in small amounts in the appropriate style.

most of the hoppy pils i drink that come in a green bottle always seems to have that slight skunky taste

i dont think i've ever had a grolsch that wasnt at least a little skunky, i kind of like it

I like it a little bit in a heineken (and beers like it) and corona on the rare occasion I have one. I don't think I've ever actually had grolsch. I like it to be pretty subtle. It is NOT good in a newcastle.

I'm not a huge fan. It's a type of taste I seem to always find in pilsners, and I don't care for that style at all.

No sir, I don't like it

quiz796outcome3.GIF

I enjoy it every so often. I don't go out of my way to drink skunky beer, but every once in a while I'll pick up a Heineken 22 from the corner store that I know is skunked and will enjoy it.

Is it wrong that when I smell a real skunk in the distance it makes me crave a Pilsner Urquell? :D That's a joke...

I love it the tastes and I'd like to know what contributes to it. Both of the brands listed have the skunky(see weed-like skunky) rather than bad beer skunky is how I understand his description.

I suspect Noble hops like Saaz might remind people of what they think skunky is, perhaps just because its used often with green bottles from Europe, but I like a Grolsch once in a while. Although I've had Heineken in a can and its pretty good!

Yes... but there is a limit. I have had Grolsch and Heineken that I loved (and a Canadian beer called Moosehead Lager) And I have had the three aboved mentioned beers that were way to skunky. BUT I have never had a a canned version be anything but good, having said that a slight skunk is nice, a severe skunk, not so nice.

If I buy any green bottled beer, I want it to be in a sealed box, not a 6 pack, here Heineken are sold in 6 packs but come in a box or 4 packs, I always make sure to open the box and take out a fresh one, it doesn't take long to get skunky when exposed.

Not for me. The only Grolsch I had was horribly skunked. I drank it anyway but when I belched, everybody in the room took a smoke break. I enjoy Corona occasionally. I'm with billc68... from the box only. Moosehead is good stuff too.

I'm with billc68... from the box only. Moosehead is good stuff too.

Or a can.... however, I can't seem to drink Corona from a can or a glass... odd, but do like a bottle, as long as it was stored dark.

A co-worker of mine told me a tory, back in the day, him and his buddies always drank this "green bottled" lager, I can't remember the brand, he would occasionally save one from the case and place it in a window or outside for a week. When they bought a new case he would randomlt place this bottle in the new box, apparently is was horrible.

Just brew a pilsner and bottle in green or clear bottles. Then set it out in the sun for a few hours.

I don't mind a slight skunk. St. Pauli girl is another one. I'm not totally conviced this flavor is from light exposure. I think there is something to the hops used, and the yeast strain. There are some pretty sulfury smelling lager yeasts. The skunky smell is from sulfur compounds - both the ones in beer, and the one from skunks.

I've got one lager I'm about ready to put on tap, that earlier tastes indicate has a slight skunk. This was fermented in my basement, and the lights are not on very much, and none of the other 4 lagers I brewed in the same space this winter have any skunk.

Riddle me this:

If the reason why heineken "skunks" is because of the green bottle and maybe a bit of mistreatment during its travels. Wouldn't Heineken in a can taste different?

Well it doesn't....

and why?

As most of you touched on, I was talking about the slight "skunky-ness" of the listed beers, not the skunk you get when, say, an ale goes bad form poor sanitation.

If the reason why heineken "skunks" is because of the green bottle and maybe a bit of mistreatment during its travels. Wouldn't Heineken in a can taste different?

Well it doesn't....

and why?

I've noticed this too. I think that its just indicitave of the beer's style. Beck's is another that often has a hint O' skunk.

Riddle me this:

Well it doesn't....

and why?

I don't agree. I've had a few Heiney's in the bottle and never cared much for the skunk. But I just finished a 6-pack of cans and thought it was a pretty good beer. And I'm not even a fan of European Lagers. (I bought it for the cans, to make alcohol stoves out of...)

Also had it in a mini keg and thought it was pretty tasty.

Riddle me this:

Well it doesn't....

and why?

It does taste different, however a fresh bottle from a dark box tastes very much the same as the can.

Riddle me this:

Well it doesn't....

Huh. To me it does, dramatically, unless you get well-handled bottles in boxes.

I've done almost exactly that demonstration to show a friend about skunking--I poured a can of Heineken for him (without telling him what it was) and he was convinced it was some kind of American lager since it didn't have the typical Heineken skunk.

Same deal with Pilsner Urquell on tap vs. in a bottle.

At a time I liked those import (world wide) lagers. Then I learned to perceive skunk as a defect. I don't care for it anymore.

I have made similar lagers. I used green bottles and left a few in the sun for 20 minutes once. I tasted one than gave it to my wife. She liked it. :cross:

i think we are raised in america thinking that green bottled beer should taste skunky. i ask everyone i see order one (that i know) if they expect the skunky taste; mostly they say yes. that said, i was raised that way too (now i know why it tastes that way of course), but as long as it's not kind bud stinky, i don't mind a little.

"Skunked" always refers to the flavors that result from exposure to UV light.

For more, read this.

In reading that article, it would seem that the "slight skunk" that many of us enjoy may be from the sulfur compounds resulting from the yeast and/or hops that are used, not a true "skunked" issue.

Not to mention the different temperatures these beers see on the boat on the way to the states.

there's a difference between skunked and Saaz(or other noble hop)flavors.I like the Saaz flavor and bite in german pilseners,which is different from skunked beer.

Good Grolsch and St. Pauli Girl should have less Saaz/skunk taste than Heineken does, in my opinion. I buy from reputable stores where there isn't a lot of light exposure and the Grolsch I get tastes pretty damn fresh. I rarely buy Heineken, though. Still, I've definitely had some skunky bottles, so I'd say it's a mix of natural tastes, green-bottle-psychology, and probably some mishandling at the store under flourescent lights at worst.

"Skunked" always refers to the flavors that result from exposure to UV light.

For more, read this.

Ok, I think we can agree there is light induced "skunkiness" and then there is the "skunkiness" that results from a combination of yeast and hops (etc.).

So the question is what to call them to distinguish the two?

It would seem maybe the most technically correct to call the one simply light-struck, and reserve skunky for the intended "skunkiness" HOWEVER, I think that skunky (light struck) is too well entrenched. So we need a new term to describe the non-light struck version.

Simply sulfury, or sulfurous? Maybe "NOBLE skunk" Suggestions?

I always thought Corona's skunky nature was derived mostly from the UV resulting from their clear bottles. Last week I tried a corona in a can to see if there was a difference....

It still tasted skunky to me, which leads me to believe the beer was designed that way apart from any UV contributions.

I always thought Corona's skunky nature was derived mostly from the UV resulting from their clear bottles. Last week I tried a corona in a can to see if there was a difference....

It still tasted skunky to me, which leads me to believe the beer was designed that way apart from any UV contributions.

Corona is rumored to be intentionally exposed to UV before canning. Googling "Corona intentionally skunked" turns up a ton of hits from people saying that, but nothing conclusive from the brewery.

Breweries will keep their skunky flavor if its already a really popular beer...I mean why wouldn't they?

I remember listening to Charlie Bamforth's audiobook, and he mentioned a popular brewery took away their skunky flavor and took hell for it because drinkers were accustomed to having that distinct flavor. I recall him saying, if you are going to purposely make your beer skunky, do it consistently and strive for the same amount of skunk

For me, a light skunk in pilsner urquell is okay, but I do not care for it in darker beers.

Back