does anyone else do this........?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbgv

Reaction score
I have a neighbor,who is into home brewing..when bottling,he bottles in 22 oz bottles,he also bottles 6 of the 'pony'[7-oz] bottles as his 'test' beers as to not waste his 22 oz'ers....

When I'm bottling larger bottles, Pint's or bomber, I do at least a 6 pack of 12 ouncers for the same reason, AND to have some to submit for contests.

It's a god idea if you are one of those brewers that can't just stick their beers in the closet for 3-4 weeks ot let them condition and carb. If a brewer feels the need to taste and check it while it is still green than it's better not to waste the bombers.

The one thing to remember is that the smaller beers will carb and condition at a faster rate than the larger beers. It takes longer for the yeast to fill the headspace in the bigger bottle with enough Co2 to get it to start being reabsorbed back into solution (carbonation)

But if the brewer want's to get an idea of what his bigger beer will taste like in a few weeks, than that'sa great idea.

somewhat, i have a few small like 7 or 8oz coke bottles. they are clear, but where i store my bottles there isn't any light. i do bottle some in 22oz bottles, but i dont have that many. so every batch, i'll have one or two small bottles as testers, 2 or 3 22oz bottles, then the rest are flip tops or just typical 12 oz.

if its a beer that ages well, i'll hold back a 22oz bottle or two for a few months.

I usually bottle in .5L, but I do have a small collection of 7oz Dr Pepper bottles (SWMBO drinks them) that I use for tasters. Usually a couple per batch.

You may get better/more responses using a descriptiove thread title.

I kind of do something similar, though I keg.

When I keg, I draw off some into a 2 liter soda bottle. Then, I force carb it with a carbonator cap. That way, I can have a taste right away. Sometimes, that is not a good thing, if the beer needs to sit a while more.

I kegged a light lager and a cream ale this morning. The kegs are in the kegerator and a 2 liter bottle of each is force carbing for tonight.

Back OT now: How does he cap bottles that small?

Back