Does anyone do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JtotheA

Reaction score
I like my cider sweet but traditionaly, most like it dry. Instead of sweeting it with sweet juice or concentrate, does anyone mix their stuff up a bit and bottle it? For the record, I like it sweet but don't bother trying to add chemicals. If I have a cider <1.000 and mix it with one that's 1.020, is that wrong? I like to rack them but before I do, I'll take a SG reading and the taste of course, and dry is dry according to my hydrometer. But since I don't add the sh...tuff to kill off the yeast, I realize the yeast will always be there. But that's why I'll crash it and rack it. I like to drink it "green" because I don't like to add the yeast-killing stuff that throws off flavor and nor am I willing to let it age. I'm just curious if anyone else does the same? I simply don't want to add chemicals and let it sit so they mellow. Just wanna keep the juice flowing;) I actually read a thread about Lambic and think I'm almost there! Who doesn't like a good ole'Lambic?! Well to sum it all up, I'm somewhere inbetween Lambic and a Cider guy. Just let it ride, but understanding that yeast will always prevail. Am I goofy?

Nope. Your method is similar to what I do. It's all about the flow of the goods. I don't have a problem drinking my ciders young (a month and a half) Although I don't bottle them until they drop to 1.010. (usually between 1.008 and 1.006) For me this has always be a nice balance between semi-sweet and retaining a little apple flavor.

The problem is, with this method...you can't let them sit in bottles in 80ºF heat for months. They need to be stored (and conditioned) cool. If you let them continue to go to 1.000...then they will be dry and stripped of the apple flavor. I usually drink mine long before that happens ;)

Right on Pickled Pepper! Thanks for your response. I did forget to mention that I do store my bottles in my fridge and yes, if any are given to friends, I unfortunately have to make it clear that my bottles need to be kept cold. I think everyone follows my advice;)
I actually find it somewhat fun to play around with different batches and different flavors and mixing them up a bit. Kinda makes me feel like a mad scientist! Ha. Cheers to ya!

Back