Does a wind shield help with keeping heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I just finished my keggle and single burner stand that uses a NG fed Hurricane burner. All in all everything works well but I have a hard time getting a nice rolling boil with 12 gallons of wort. I can heat it fairly quickly but the boil doesn't really get going, its more like a simmering boil. I'm about to cut up an unused stainless pot to fit around the hurricane burner and act as a wind shield. I'm hoping this will help with wind as well as keep more heat under the burner but I'm wondering if this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Speaking from (in)experience in the scale of what you are after, but in the camping world, a wind screen around your stove or alcohol burner helps the efficiency immensely in windy conditions. I would definitely recommend using one.

Kris

Yes, a wind shield will help. I would use something cheaper like flashing though for your wind screen -- all it needs to do is direct the heat at your pot rather than being blown away by the wind.

Ok I cut the bottom off an unused cheap stainless pot and notched it to fit around the Hurricane burner and it does help! I have a nice rolling boil, not quite as vigorous as some I've seen but definitely adequate. It also seemed to heat water more quickly.

I used to do catering for a BBQ restaurant, we used alluminum foil for a makeshift windscreen. Worked very well.

Back