Does a gentle boil equal DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Token

Reaction score
I was this close to taking my brewpot outside to a turkey fryer when my stove was having a hard time getting my wort to a boil. In fact I got it all set up; but when I came back in the house, the boil had started. I decided to just go with that rather than interrupt the boil and have to start it back up. It took about 50 minutes to get my wort to a boil.

It then boiled for about 65 minutes. It wasn't a good, hearty boil, but there was definite rolling going on. It started out with about 5 gallons and got down to about 3.5 gallons.

I was pretty excited abou this beer, but now I wonder about the DMS factor. Think this will be a problem?

What was your recipe? The only time you need to worry about DMS is when you use pilsner malt.
Of course a rolling boil is important for the hot break too.

I do the stovetop as well and was getting too much DMS with lighter beers (it's not restricted to just Pilsner malt). I just go with a longer boil - 90 minutes and that seems to have stopped the problem.

Can't stand brewing outside - too hot or too cold...no TV :)

DMS from malt is pretty much limited to pale-colored malts like pilsner malt. Anything like pale ale malt or darker doesn't have enough SMM to worry about. http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

As John Palmer states DMS can come from bacteria too. Even a slow start to fermentation can allow enough DMS to be produced by bacteria to be noticeable. Make sure you use enough yeast and oxygenation for a strong fermentation.

I do the stovetop as well and was getting too much DMS with lighter beers (it's not restricted to just Pilsner malt). I just go with a longer boil - 90 minutes and that seems to have stopped the problem.

Can't stand brewing outside - too hot or too cold...no TV :)

Ya, the Tiger game was on. :eek:

thanks for all the replies folks. I feel better now. :mug:

Latest posts

Back