Do you worry about trub in your keg or bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyboy

Reaction score
In just about every article on kegging that I've read they suggest pouring off the first quart or so before you start drinking. I've never bothered. I've tried but then I just shrug and drink it instead of dumping it. I haven't noticed much of a difference between that first drink and the rest of the keg. The same goes for bottles. The sediment at the bottom just doesn't bother me. Hell, half the time I just drink straight out of the bottle and drain them all. Considering that they actually sell "brewers yeast" as a superfood I don't see how this practice could be anything but good for you. Does anyone really get such an offensive sediment layer in their kegs/bottles that they even notice it?

I don't really mind drinking the sediment, but out of habit I usually pour a bottle carefully and leave the last little bit in the bottle and usually pull a pint or so from my keg before serving up any more. When I didn't know any better and first started it gave me bad gas, but these days it doesn't matter and I can drink it without issue.

When presenting my brews for the first time to others, I generally make the effort to leave the sediment behind. Makes for a much cleaner brew. On occasion, I swirl the last ounce or so and pour into a seperate glass for a taste comparison.

Since yeast contains B-complex and other nutrients that alcohol will deplete from your body, I always drink the yeast myself. I still leave it behind in the bottle, but my first swig is of the yeasty goodness that is the dregs. It is, afterall, that which gives beer life.

Cheers!

If you do a secondary fermentation there will be very little trub, or anything else transfered to bottles and kegs. Most of the trub is left behind in the primary.

I don't mind drinking it but theres something about pouring a perfectly clear beer that I want to accomplish one day. Since I only use primary.

My first pint from a keg looks like a beer milkshake, it's usually so cloudy with stuff. I may sip it, but I normally can't bring myself to drink it. It's just so easy to dump those first few ounces and pull a clean pint.

I do month long primaries, and have little bottle sediment in mine, sometimes just the barest whisper of yeast. But no, I'm not bothered by yeast in homebrew, OR bottle conditioned beers. That's just part of the process of enjoying living beers, rather than highly processed and filtered beers. And my beer is really clear.

I usually do 3-4 week primaries and pour out the first pint. After that, it's no big deal. Sometimes the first pull is just gross. Sometimes it's pretty good. Depends on the beer.

Back