Do you think the Anheuser Bush Brewers drink good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
They must be pretty skilled to make beer so watery and consistent. But do you think they actually drink and enjoy the stuff regularly? I would want to think they despise the stuff.

be careful. the defenders will come out of the woodwork. then they will challenge you to brew a Light Ermuhrkin Lager as good as the BMCs. ya know, beer: just the way god intended. some of them will tell you that you don't have to like the beer, but then you must praise them for their consistency in product, just like McDonald's. and just like McDonalds, they must be the best because of the volumes sold (couldn't be related to marketing and price compared to Uhmoricans willingness to settle for crap if the price is right).

but I'm willing to bet the people that run the control panels enjoy all sorts of different beers and/or wine coolers.

Yes.

thJ09SL5ZM (300x199).jpg

I guess it really depends on how well they get paid really.
That and the availability of something non BMC in their area.
I'm also sure some of their employees are happy too drink what they make. Some for the taste, some for the employee discount they may get.

I would imagine they enjoy and appreciate all styles of beer.

I like to think of my BMC Brewers as straight gentleman who enjoy good craft beer and bourbon on their days off...that's just me though :rockin:

I like to think of my BMC Brewers as straight gentleman who enjoy good craft beer and bourbon on their days off...that's just me though :rockin:

I really like Charlie Bamforth and have a great respect for his knowledge and science background. I happen to know he loves great beer as well.

Making great beer and making beer that appeals to the masses (ie sells) isn't necessarily exclusive but certainly there is room for both.

Whether someone likes it or not, there is a great knowledge of brewing science and malting behind the product.

After 30 years at AB Jim Gorczyca bought O'Fallon brewery. Now he makes and drinks some pretty great beer. I can imagine there were many non-AB products he enjoyed before he left.

I wonder if Anheuser Bush Brewers get discounts at McDonald's. I like the Hardee's Thick Burger, but if it's fast food burgers, I would rather have a Double Whopper with cheese and no tomato.

I happen to take a shuttle bus home which many of the Coors employees also take. I have listened to the conversations, they brew Bourbon Barrel RIS, hoppy Triple IPAs, and other drool worthy sounding recipes. They take advantage of their employers fantastic grain and yeast. Best of both worlds.

I surmise they use their talent for Coors when being paid, but for great beers on their own time.

I won't drink any macro or the breweries they purchase, that doesn't mean they can't appreciate or brew great beer. They choose not to market it, which is fine by me, I wouldn't drink it anyhow.

I still like the Budweiser in the red and white can. Haven't had it in a while. They quit making American Ale. Too bad. It was good. Plantium sucks. Really. It's terrible. It tastes like the stale fumigated air in an abandoned grain mill office.

Sure. Just like big shots at Ernest & Julio Gallo and Franzia probably have exquisitely stocked wine cellars, or like Ford/GMC big shots might have a Shelby or a Bugatti or a Harley or something in the garage.

Besides - someone in the organization must be able to recognize which craft breweries to acquire, and that decision is probably not made on numbers alone. Someone has to be able to recognize a quality product. And as we all know from the fallout from the Super Bowl ad, an A-B employee can have a Peach Pumpkin Ale and still have it technically be an A-B product.

They do their jobs very well. It's an honest living. I imagine they taste enough of it at work, and enjoy some other well crafted stuff on their own time.

be careful. the defenders will come out of the woodwork. then they will challenge you to brew a Light Ermuhrkin Lager as good as the BMCs. ya know, beer: just the way god intended. some of them will tell you that you don't have to like the beer, but then you must praise them for their consistency in product, just like McDonald's. and just like McDonalds, they must be the best because of the volumes sold (couldn't be related to marketing and price compared to Uhmoricans willingness to settle for crap if the price is right).

but I'm willing to bet the people that run the control panels enjoy all sorts of different beers and/or wine coolers.

All of those things. Yup.

More importantly, AB brewers/employees don't deprecate anyone for having a preference.

All the AB employees I've known do drink Bud products regularly. Mostly because it was given to them by the company.

I don't know what AB employees enjoy, but I do know that - at least back in the 70s - Coors had some really good brews in their hospitality room at the Golden brewery that were never sold anywhere.

If I was working at that plant I think I'd be a happy camper once the afternoon whistle blew...

Cheers!

You know, I talk a lot of crap about commodity lagers and their place in the American Social Sphere but without them I don't think we would have the beer culture we have now or the attention paid to it. It would be like in Europe were local small batch beers are the norm and not very celebrated, at least not to the extent American beers are now celebrated.

Talk about beer culture - thats especially true in my town. Our Brewers play ball at Miller Park, and one of the city's most loved jewels is the Pabst Theater, which is just up the street from Uihlein Hall in the performing arts center (Uihlein was the family behind Schlitz). Our largest academic/tertiary hospital, Froedtert Hospital, was set up by the people behind the Froedtert Malting Co. Many restaurants and bars are old Schlitz taprooms, and I could go on. Big old BMC beers are an important part of Milwaukee's history.

[...]It would be like in Europe were local small batch beers are the norm and not very celebrated, at least not to the extent American beers are now celebrated.

You say that like it'd be a bad thing.

Had Budweiser and their fizzy yellow piss water never existed (and inspired other macros with their fizzy yellow piss water) that vacuum might have been filled with local beer works taking their lead from the Europeans.

Have you ever been to any western european country?
Other than Italy, "Locals" are pretty much still holding sway in their markets, and there are really tasty brews to be found in nearly all of them...

Cheers!

Had Budweiser and their fizzy yellow piss water never existed (and inspired other macros with their fizzy yellow piss water) that vacuum might have been filled with local beer works taking their lead from the Europeans.

Other than Italy, "Locals" are pretty much still holding sway in their markets, and there are really tasty brews to be found in nearly all of them...

Cheers!

So you have forgotten that the people behind A-B took their lead from European breweries? That's how it started.

There are crappy bottles of vin de pays in France. Just because it's local or small batch doesn't mean it's good.

So you have forgotten that the people behind A-B took their lead from European breweries? That's how it started.

I'd say, one Czech brewery, and isn't it too bad (although the original actually has a smattering of flavor to it).
In any case, more-or-less cloning a rather uninteresting recipe does not a smorgasbord make.

There are crappy bottles of vin de pays in France. Just because it's local or small batch doesn't mean it's good.

I'd rank bad outliers as largely irrelevant...

Cheers!

I'd say, one Czech brewery, and isn't it too bad (although the original actually has a smattering of flavor to it).
In any case, more-or-less cloning a rather uninteresting recipe does not a smorgasbord make.

I'd rank bad outliers as largely irrelevant...

Cheers!

Who said they're outliers?

There was the opportunity for a smorgasbord, but the environment allowed a certain kind of beer to be prominent. It was the immigrant Brewers that made that beer.

So there's no difference in what you're suggesting. It just already happened and this is the result.

Who said they're outliers?

Ummm....I did. I've traveled in western Europe extensively over 40+ years and could count the totality of "off" brews on one hand.

There was the opportunity for a smorgasbord, but the environment allowed a certain kind of beer to be prominent. It was the immigrant Brewers that made that beer.

So there's no difference in what you're suggesting. It just already happened and this is the result.

Right, just an unfortunate twist of fate. Pretty much what I was saying...

Cheers!

Oh my gosh! Alice Cooper is playing Milwaukee tonight! Seriously - he's at the Bradley center with Motley Crue.

soooo, Glenn Danzig and Doyle Von Frankenstein got arrested in London after chasing Motley Crue down the street. what has 7 arms and sucks? Def Lepord.

Cheers!

It is. I want to celebrate it. I don't want it to be the everyday.

I've been reading a lot of Mosher and he really advocates for the purity of the Pislner.

Nothing wrong with a little American Adjunct, lets just acknowledge it's not what we're after.

soooo, Glenn Danzig and Doyle Von Frankenstein got arrested in London after chasing Motley Crue down the street. what has 7 arms and sucks? Def Lepord.

Amen.

Back