Do you stage out yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I’ve always just put 1.5 teaspoons of nutrient per gallon when I pitch my yeast. I never really had problems with getting yeast to kick. A friend says it’s much better to add yeast at different stages in primary but to me opening my primary several times would be more harmful than any benefits of staging out the nutrient. Am I just being lazy or do people notice notable results?

One addition up front works for me with cider. It's not until I'm in the wine realm (1.080 and up) that I consider staggered nutrients.

This. Primary for a month, secondary for two and then priming/bottling.

I'm curious too & always looking to learn/improve --

So far in a year & quarter of making cider I haven't added nutrient yet to any ciders -- even my faux ice that gets to 14% - my go to yeasts are D47 & S04...both low nutrient requirement types from what I understand. (I did add it to a batch of hard lemonade last year per the recipe I followed from HBT.) So far my ciders have turned out great -- never any rhino farts, bad batches. Up until the last few batches I would just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must -- after reading the book Yeast the practical guide to beer fermentation by Chris White of White Labs -- I've taken his word of advice & started to rehydrate my dry yeasts -- and just bought some Go Ferm. Bit long winded....

Last edited:
I'm curious too & always looking to learn/improve --

So far in a year & quarter of making cider I haven't added nutrient yet to any ciders -- even my faux ice that gets to 14% - my go to yeasts are D47 & S04...both low nutrient requirement types from what I understand. (I did add it to a batch of hard lemonade last year per the recipe I followed from HBT.) So far my ciders have turned out great -- never any rhino farts, bad batches. Up until the last few batches I would just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must -- after reading the book Yeast the practical guide to beer fermentation by Chris White of White Labs -- I've taken his word of advice & started to rehydrate my dry yeasts -- and just bought some Go Ferm. Bit long winded....

If you've not used nutrients and not had H2S with S-04 consider yourself very lucky.

I always rehydrate dry yeast. I'll use GoFerm in high gravity musts (cysers, meads) but haven't bothered with that in ciders.

After my first cider waged chemical warfare with the rhino farts and S-04 I started using nutes in everything. So far it has been an improvement overall. One addition up front.

If you've not used nutrients and not had H2S with S-04 consider yourself very lucky.

I always rehydrate dry yeast. I'll use GoFerm in high gravity musts (cysers, meads) but haven't bothered with that in ciders.
Maybe because most of my ciders also have FAJC in em? Not sure [emoji102]

Nutrients added after aeration, up front at yeast pitch. S04, S05 and D47 no H2S in 12 batches or so. FAJC with an OG of 1.060 and just let it go.

Back