Do you own a dog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Ring

Reaction score
Edit: Thanks for all the replies. The sample size is more than big enough and the link is getting shut down. Thanks again. The recipe is still good though!
If yes, could you please fill out this 10 question survey for a class my wife is taking? Thanks http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRWTKTR

Done.

Been considering it for a while, actually. I guess some spent grain biscuits would be a good start. =)

Looks like a survey I would create if I were thinking of starting my own business. Check out the interest first. ;)

Can I please ask what kind of class she is taking? I'll complete the survey regardless.

I started to fill the survey out, but found it difficult to answer the questions because there is a huge implied assumption that "homemade" food is "better for my dog".

Example... "would you be willing to pay more for homemade dog food?"

Well, that depends on what's in this homemade food and whether it's good for my boxers.

I can make homemade dog food out of enriched bleached flour and some low nutrition spent grains, but I don't necessarily think that I would consider this good quality food.

My Super Boxer haha

& headin to the survey now!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfTaYL1TGo

Boxers are the best...

4394_1138522070470_1449936002_30362500_705163_n.jpg

I took 'homemade' to be a slant on 'natural'. I wouldn't buy it because my greyhounds are old enough to need additional chemicals (AKA vitamins and minerals) for optimum nutrition. Young dogs are fine on road-kill and grass, but seniors need supplements.

I took 'homemade' to be a slant on 'natural'.

Yeah, I figured that was the intent, but just wanted to point out that there was an assumption being made.

For what it's worth, I do pay more for natural food for my boxers. It's from a small local company, all natural stuff made from local ingredients, and delivered free to my house when we order it.

Not to slam the OP's wife or anything, but if you're paying for it, it's 'commercial', not 'homemade'. Somebody needs to work on their definitions before writing surveys.

Still, done. Like David, my Greyhounds have different nutritional needs (four, one quite elderly, one with terminal osteosarcoma, one with three legs, one 'normal'), so it's impossible to make blanket statements. But it's a neat survey nonetheless.

Bob

First, THANKS A TON for your replies. My wife is taking a business communications class, and she had to come up with a business report that includes a survey. You are right some of the questions are a bit slanted, but that's why she is taking the class, to learn. She GREATLY appreciates your time. That's one of the reasons I love this forum, it is such a great group of people.

I'll try and make a long story short, a couple of years ago I worked with a guy who told me about his old standard poodle that had developed fatty tumors. His vet suggested maybe making his own dog food which would contain less chemicals and preservatives. He said he tried it, and sure enough, the tumors went away. However, the thing that got my attention was the additional benefit, the brown spots in his grass went away!

I was a bit skeptical, but we have to lab mixes and my yard looked terrible, so I said what the heck. Sure enough, my grass is green. I have since shared the recipe with a couple of people, and they have had similar results with both the tumors and grass. I know the stories are anecdotal, but my dogs are healthy and have beautiful coats.

The only negative feedback I have received is that it is a pain to have to make it (mostly from people that don't like to cook). So I had the idea that my unemployed 17 year old son and I could start a small business (Him labor/me brains:)). Right now we are (through my wives class) coming up with a business plan. She thinks it is stupid, but I've told her "you have to take risks."

I know homebrewers are do-it-yourselfers so here is the recipe:

2 lbs chicken (we found that thighs seem to be the cheapest meat-bone ratio)
1 lb mixed vegetables (we use 4 carrots and 2 heads of broccoli) (NO onions, peppers, potiatoes, tomatoes)
2 lbs long grain brown rice (approx 4.5 cups)
1 lb chicken livers
2 lbs pasta (cheapest thing you can find on sale)
32 oz cottage cheese

Place chicken thighs, vegetables, and approx 4-5 cups of water in a 12 qt pressure cooker. Cook for 20 min. Allow to cool at room temperature. Chicken will be very tender, but hot. Remove bones and discard. Remove chicken and vegetables and set aside, while saving the broth. ln a large metal bowl that will fit in the pressure cooker place rice, chicken livers, and broth (add enough water to the broth to get a total of 8 cups of liquid). Cover the metal bowl with aluminum foil and place on rack in preesure cooker. Cook for 30 min. Allow to cool at room temperature. Cook pasta. Combine all ingredients together. It will last in the refrigerator approximately 1 week. Freezes easily. Feed the same amount you do with normal dog food. lf you do not have a pressure cooker, just cook normally (takes a lot longer).

Bon Appétit

If we feel they are starting to miss anything or want their coats to really shine we put on a little "Missing Link."

First, THANKS A TON for your replies. My wife is taking a business communications class, and she had to come up with a business report that includes a survey. You are right some of the questions are a bit slanted, but that's why she is taking the class, to learn. She GREATLY appreciates your time. That's one of the reasons I love this forum, it is such a great group of people.

I'll try and make a long story short, a couple of years ago I worked with a guy who told me about his old standard poodle that had developed fatty tumors. His vet suggested maybe making his own dog food which would contain less chemicals and preservatives. He said he tried it, and sure enough, the tumors went away. However, the thing that got my attention was the additional benefit, the brown spots in his grass went away!

I was a bit skeptical, but we have to lab mixes and my yard looked terrible, so I said what the heck. Sure enough, my grass is green. I have since shared the recipe with a couple of people, and they have had similar results with both the tumors and grass. I know the stories are anecdotal, but my dogs are healthy and have beautiful coats.

The only negative feedback I have received is that it is a pain to have to make it (mostly from people that don't like to cook). So I had the idea that my unemployed 17 year old son and I could start a small business (Him labor/me brains:)). Right now we are (through my wives class) coming up with a business plan. She thinks it is stupid, but I've told her "you have to take risks."

I know homebrewers are do-it-yourselfers so here is the recipe:

2 lbs chicken (we found that thighs seem to be the cheapest meat-bone ratio)
1 lb mixed vegetables (we use 4 carrots and 2 heads of broccoli) (NO onions, peppers, potiatoes, tomatoes)
2 lbs long grain brown rice (approx 4.5 cups)
1 lb chicken livers
2 lbs pasta (cheapest thing you can find on sale)
32 oz cottage cheese

Place chicken thighs, vegetables, and approx 4-5 cups of water in a 12 qt pressure cooker. Cook for 20 min. Allow to cool at room temperature. Chicken will be very tender, but hot. Remove bones and discard. Remove chicken and vegetables and set aside, while saving the broth. ln a large metal bowl that will fit in the pressure cooker place rice, chicken livers, and broth (add enough water to the broth to get a total of 8 cups of liquid). Cover the metal bowl with aluminum foil and place on rack in preesure cooker. Cook for 30 min. Allow to cool at room temperature. Cook pasta. Combine all ingredients together. It will last in the refrigerator approximately 1 week. Freezes easily. Feed the same amount you do with normal dog food. lf you do not have a pressure cooker, just cook normally (takes a lot longer).

Bon Appétit

I was wondering about the end product, would it be dry and how you would do that. But now knowing it would have to be refrigerated or frozen for storage that would be one more reason I probably would not choose it. If my dog had health problems I might try it though.

Complete!
I use a high end commercial and add cooked brown rice and supplements. We're the parents of a 10yr. old Jack Russell "Lucy". Our office staff calls her Luci-fer however!

I would think if you made the recipe as posted then pressure canned after completing the product, that you could keep this on the shelf like any other pressure canned product for a while. I'm getting ready to start pressure canning starter, so that I can just make up one big batch of 1.040 starter wort, can it in 1 quart mason jars, then open the starter and pour when ready instead of having to make a fresh batch and cool every time. We have three dogs, this could be tasty to feed them (at least the chihuahuas who need soft food).

Done.

We have 2 dogs; a 5 y/o Boxer and a 10 week old Bulldog. The search for healthy and decently priced food is an on going hunt. May have to give your recipe a try. Thanks.

Here is Miss Cali:

Cali.jpg

Done.

Few suggestions (I'm a research manager at a marketing consulting firm.) I'd set a lot of the yes/no questions on a 7 point scale with 7 being Definitely Yes and 1 being Definitely No. That way you can gain more insight versus just yes or no.

For instance, I *might* consider making my own dog food, but I don't know enough about it. I'm leaning towards it, but still unsure. Am I a yes/no/na? However, on a 1-7 scale, I'd probably be a 5. There's information in that.

Also, as mentioned earlier, the wording on a few questions should be changed. Some of it is leading and some of it doesn't make sense. "Would you be willing to pay more for homemade food?" Am I making it or is someone else? Does homemade=natural as some think?

Good luck!

Good luck to your wife! I took that same class and had to do a similar survey. Professor Debbie VonSprecken or something like that. Tough class, but learned a ton!

Done. Great to see so many other boxer owner's. I've had 3 (down to one now :( ) and I'm pretty sure I'll always have at least one as long as I live. Mischievous bastards, but the personality of them is enough to make you still love them.

I've also got a recently adopted 9 yr old doberman and a big fat lab/rott mix that is one of the best dogs I've ever had. He's the only one that will get in the pool on his own. The boxer starts hacking like he's drowning if you take him in, even though no water ever comes close to his mouth. Gotta love em.

Done.
I wished I had better information available when I made my dogs their own food. In terms of portions. I kept the portions low (what I thought was low), but in the end it wasn't better for them...it just made them more fat.

Raw meat is good as long as its part of the diet and not the only thing the dog eats.
Bear in mind "in the wild" when a dog kills something it will eat the feathers/fur, skin, bones, stomach contents, organs etc etc.

Best food for a dog is raw meat just like in the wild, my dogs have never been healthier.

Raw meat is good as long as its part of the diet and not the only thing the dog eats.
Bear in mind "in the wild" when a dog kills something it will eat the feathers/fur, skin, bones, stomach contents, organs etc etc.
Mine mostly eat whole rabbits and chickens plus parts of deer, cow and other game that fellow hunters don't want.

Mine is for sale (-50), I'll give you 50 bucks to take him. Only stipulation is that you have to convince my SWMBO that he is going to a loving family, yada yada yada. That PITA can end up part of Hwy 55 for all I care. Only dog I couldn't love.

Back