Do you like your Blichmann Hop Rocket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My birthday is coming up and I don't have a lot on my list this year. My wife wants to get me something and the only thing I can think of is a Hop Rocket. I love hops and hop flavor so I'd primarily use it as a hop back.

So do you like yours?

I've read stories of it clogging, any tips to keep it from clogging?

I have built one using I think a 4 inch stainless canister from bed Bath beyond and like a Coppertone coffee filter that fits snugly inside and seals. Then I simply put fitting on the top and the fitting on the bottom. I don't remember but it cost like $15. I personally don't think the hop flavor is the same or at least not what I was looking for. This was obviously a different unit so most certainly not a review of the Blickman unit. However after using one that I built I would not buy one. As far as clogging I think as long as you don't use pellet hops you will be good. I have tried the idea of the instant hop flavor using steam, espresso machine, I'll probably get type devices, I think the key is more hops in your brew..

I use it when cooling down wort to go into the fermenter: it functions as secondary filter when I fill it with about an ounce of hop flowers. I draw hot wort through the Hop Rocket and Therminator with a pump, and the cooled wort goes into the fermenter. I find that I have to fiddle with the gasket on top in order to adjust the pressure; once that's done I don't have any problems with the flow of wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter.

I like it but I rarely use it because it's just one more thing you have to clean. I think as far as hoppy beers go, if you're already FWHing, hop standing, dry hopping, etc... You can't really notice any added flavor or aroma. I've never used it as a Randal however.

Back