Do you have a brewing partner? What's your deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother used to be my brew partner for a few years when we started but then I moved. We could bounce ideas off each other as to what we wanted to brew next, what techniques to try, and just generally life talk. Man I need to brew another batch soon:mug:

Exactly my situation. My brother got out I brewing but recently bought another kit with equipment. He came over and helped me with a clone attempt of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It came out really well and he said, "Crap, now I have to go all grain..." Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why not charge what it would normally cost for 5 gallons of wort? For most of the beers I make, that's $50-60.

Yes, I'm aware that cost per gallon goes down as the batch size increases. However, there is a premium to be paid for the work you put in, and something tells me you forgot about fuel costs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewing partners are overrated. I have brewed with a few people from work and find they typically are not as knowledgeable. They tend to have misconceptions during the process and I find I eventually have to give in to some to let them feel like they are contributing. I'd have to say that brew days go so much smoother solo. Brewing with partners can be nice but I find that I have more issues and don't have a perfect process. I tend to drink more, give in to them to make them feel better, and wind up feeling shafted because I wind up doing most the planning, work, and worry. I think if someone wants to watch, then fine. If they want to own the final product and feel like they brewed it then do it themselves.

To follow up... The people that i come across that homebrew and want to brew with me tend to be this type:

Buy kits
Don't do starters
Don't use temp control
Don't take hydrometer or refractometer readings
Don't use campden
Don't read HBT or forums or books
Just simply don't care enough. ..

If you find a brewing partner that doesn't fall in the above category then go for it. Otherwise just invite them to watch.

Back