do you brew more or drink more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneeron

Reaction score
This came up last night at my club meeting. Just a simple question of do you brew more than you drink or do you have gabs in batches and buy comercial?

I drink what I brew, but also try "gourmet" beers often. I just use my homebrew as a budlight and similar substitute. Rather than buy cases of ****ty beer, I brew a few cases of good beer.

I have actually slowed my drinking since I started brewing. The only beer I have been buying is the hard to get stuff/ specialty brews.

I basically have a few of my own every few days rather than going through a 12 or so of commercial in a week.

I drink less. I used to drink at least a six pack a night of coors light. Now that I brew I drink between 1 and 4 a day. I brew a whole lot more than that.

I normally brew more than I can drink. I just recently weaned myself off of buying commercial beer unless is something special or hard to find.

I drink LOTS more. But I have help, since I drink about half of the beer in the household. I brew alot, but not enough to keep us "beered up" the whole time. We do buy some good commercials to fill in the gaps.

I could drink less.

Wait. What am I saying? That's crazy talk. :confused:

I always brew twice as much as what I think I will need and this is half as much as I would like to drink.

Been drinking more since becoming a brewer. Since there are so many styles available, I feel the need to buy and try different ones to increase knowledge of malts, yeast, etc.

Definitely brew more than I drink. I only drink about a 6-er a week or so. A lot of what I brew gets shared with friends, but I still have about 50 bottles or so sitting in the closet right now, just hanging out and getting tastier!

Between what I and my brewing-buddies have brewed lately, I think I've only had three store bought beers in the past 4 months... Pretty cool when you think about it.

I think the motivation to let beer age and get to its full potential keeps me from drinking so much. Quality over quantity!

That said, I also think I need to go buy some good dark Belgians for "research" for an upcoming batch.... ;)

Brew more. Give some away to my bro, FIL, and coworker who brews too. I love a good hoppy brew, but I dang near like brewing more than drinking. Dang near.

I brew WAY more than I drink. I usually end up drinking 25% or less of what I have brewed. I am a pretty light drinker, but have some buddies that can really put it away!

Great responses, I'm in the drink more category. I seem to alway have another week to go on next batch when kegs go empty. I have maybe a session left in my keg with 10 gallons of cider going in 2 empty kegs this weekend. I guess this one was timed right.

Drink more than i brew, more so in the summer. Something about that ice cold keg of summer ale in the keg on a hot Galveston day, night, afternoon, afterwork, before dinner, after dinner, well you know.

I brew way more than I can drink. I need some heavy drinker friends who like hoppy beers. All my friends are scared of hops.

Aschecte said:
Def brew more. My taste in beer changes quickly so I'm always brewing something else. I average brewing 1-2 times a week.

I need to hang out with you! I drink ALOT more than i brew. I have two small children so time is limited to brewing at best once a month, sometimes only bi-monthly. When i find i can't brew every month i'll do a cider so i still have homebrewed stuff, but since i got into hb i've drank so many different beers(and lots of them) i found i drink crazy amounts of beer nowadays.

...do you have gaps in batches and buy comercial?

I'm now sipping on a sixtel of Nugget Nectar during a gap
while 10 gallons sit in my primary. I must plan better (I think).

P1010507.jpg

I try to brew once a month, 10 gallon batches, and I'm the only one in the household who drinks beer.

So if I manage to hit my once a month schedule, I have too much beer to drink alone. It takes parties & special events to get through it all.

I actually saw all three of the kegs in my kegerator spit foam randomly on the same night this past week, which left me with merely another 30 gallons of beer in the house...

I still drink commercial, but mostly for consumption outside my house. I rarely buy commercial for home.

I brew every other week and drink more than I can brew I always end up filling in the gap with some kind of commercial craft beer.

I brew more than I drink. I give several G's per month to the guys at work so i can keep brewing...

I try to brew 2 5g batches per month. I only drink commercial or store bought at home for research for future brews. I rarely have run out of home brew, except when friends have helped, and I rarely take it with me to drink else where. So, I'd say about even.

The intent is to brew more than drink, but it does not always work out. I saw a deal at the local beer store for $200 keg of 120. I gotta get a sankey coupler for my keg fridge

I try to brew more, but I end up drinking it, or sharing with my friends. My current work situation, and budget doesn't help my frequency of brewing. I'm currently on a regiment of two 5gal batches a month.

I have too much patience when it comes to aging my bottles, so I have a ton of homebrew and drink more commercial beers than I should. The patience sure pays off though!

Brew more than drink. Have not bought commercial in a few years, other than traveling or something really specialty. Once you get the pipeline started, just don't let it run dry. 3-4 cases of bottles, 8 kegs, 3 on tap, keep 1 or 2 fermenting and you will be fine....Drink 1-3 almost every day....

Brew more than drink. Have not bought commercial in a few years, other than traveling or something really specialty. Once you get the pipeline started, just don't let it run dry. 3-4 cases of bottles, 8 kegs, 3 on tap, keep 1 or 2 fermenting and you will be fine....Drink 1-3 almost every day....

You must be my long lost brother......This is what i have running and it is working. Summer is around the corner and consumption will increase. Going to ten gallon batches every other week has showed promise.:)

Back