do yeast need more than sugar to ferment properly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beginner_at_Work

Reaction score
yeast would need more than sugar to ferment correct? if so what nutrients are those??????

do the juice from raisins help with fermentation this is what i heard?

Scotts lab has a free handbook to download that does a very good job of explaining yeast nutrients (of course its their nutrients for sale) and most of us use the Fermaid. That would be a good source of information on a lot of winemaking steps. WVMJ

yeast would need more than sugar to ferment correct? if so what nutrients are those??????

do the juice from raisins help with fermentation this is what i heard?

Usually if you're brewing from fruit or grain you probably won't need to add any nutrients. The more straight-up sugar you use, the more you will need to supplement with Fermaid or something similar. This goes for any kind of sugar, like white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, honey, molasses, and so on.

Usually if you're brewing from fruit or grain you probably won't need to add any nutrients. The more straight-up sugar you use, the more you will need to supplement with Fermaid or something similar. This goes for any kind of sugar, like white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, honey, molasses, and so on.

hypothetically speaking, if someone were to ferment sugar water, what can they use to put proper nutrients in the water for the yeast, or would this not be necessary. im only asking this hypothetically for learning purposes. thank you

It is a bit curious to me that someone would be asking questions about how to make alcohol from plain water and sugar. Doesn't strike me as a "homebrewing" topic.

im not using plain water and sugar though. but even then asking for learning purposes there is nothing wrong with that. this question simply states what nutrients do yeast need, nothing more nothing less. please stick to the topic, thank you

im not using plain water and sugar though. but even then asking for learning purposes there is nothing wrong with that. this question simply states what nutrients do yeast need, nothing more nothing less. please stick to the topic, thank you

To stay on topic, your :off: This is a beer brewing forum. Fermenting sugar water is not what we do here. In the other thread which is linked in my previous post. You continued to ask the same stupid question. That's why the moderator stepped in. Your the guy who brings a scooter to a biker rally. You just don't get it. Maybe there is a prison forum you could post in.

To stay on topic, your :off: This is a beer brewing forum. Fermenting sugar water is not what we do here. In the other thread which is linked in my previous post. You continued to ask the same stupid question. That's why the moderator stepped in. Your the guy who brings a scooter to a biker rally. You just don't get it. Maybe there is a prison forum you could post in.

im asking for learning purposes, and this is not only a beer making forum, its also for wine, cider etc. and my main goal may be to make cider now, but i am still asking basic questions for learning purposes and there is nothing wrong with that, unless a moderator tells me so. im probably gonna buy some store bought apple juice concentrate and take it from there. please be nice, what nutrients do the yeast need

Grapes grown for wine are nearly perfect in that they possess just about everything the yeast need for a really good fermentation. Other fruits and certainly honey (for example) are deficient in nitrogen , potassium and in some organic material that you want the yeast to have - Without nitrogen and without the organic material, the yeast cannot effectively repair their own cells and so they stop fermenting or they produce chemicals like sulfur dioxide and mercaptans that create tastes and smells that you and I don't like.

My rule if thumb is to assume that every fruit I ferment will need some additional nutrients if I want to avoid any problems with stalled fermentation or with SO2 production. The reason why many older recipes include the addition of raisins is - again - because grapes do tend to contain all the necessary nutrients. And if you look at older folk recipes you will see that bread was often added - again to provide the nutrients needed for good fermentation...

When I make candy cane wine. Which is basically fermented sugar water with peppermint oil, I use yeast nutrition and yeast energizer and it works pretty well. I know people who use expired yeast when brewing big beers. They just throw it in during the last few min of the boil to kill it. The live yeast feed off the dead yeast.

First off.....check out this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/pappy-s-pub-cider-408610/

This seems inline with what you are after.

Secondly........check out this webpage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

Nothing wrong with wanting to make Kilju.
Just several on here freak out if people word it wrongly (that "H word" you used in your other thread) because they think the ATF/FBI/DHS/CIA/Nazi SS/Obama and his minions/ISIS/NRA/Girl Scouts of America/ECT. will come and shut the forums down over it.

First off.....check out this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/pappy-s-pub-cider-408610/

This seems inline with what you are after.

Secondly........check out this webpage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

Nothing wrong with wanting to make Kilju.
Just several on here freak out if people word it wrongly (that "H word" you used in your other thread) because they think the ATF/FBI/DHS/CIA/Nazi SS/Obama and his minions/ISIS/NRA/Girl Scouts of America/ECT. will come and shut the forums down over it.

wow thank you, you're awesome. and lol @ girl scouts and obama coming to shut this site down. I see your point. and will refrain from using the h word, ive been told by a moderator that is against the rules and understood now. so thanks.

would you recommend yeast energizer and yeast nutrient for kilju?

would you recommend yeast energizer and yeast nutrient for kilju?

Yes.
I used yeast nutrient when i made a 1 gallon batch of it and it fermented out fine. However,it is a very uninteresting drink by itself. I think i added some almond extract and some coffee to it after it was done fermenting and clear just to give it `some flavor at all` to it. For me it was just an expiriment on how to make some extremely cheap drink, but for the small amount you pay for some apple juice, making cider IMHO is a better option. The wal-mart nearest to my house had their namebrand of juice on sale for $2.60 + tax the other day...........i bought 20 gallons of it.:tank:

It's not all about the fermentation. Yeast needs more than sugar - it needs oxygen to grow and multiply as well as the compounds in the yeast energizer. It has to grow and multiply before it will start fermenting, well.

I just wanna make co2 for my grow

Back