Do we need the trub from boiling in our fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are people who throw the trub into the fermentor from the boiling kettle?

I am asking because maybe there are some vital nutrients there for the yeast, or compounds that might be important during the fermentation.

We actually use a colander and filter the wort a couple times during the brewing.

1, when the mashing is over, we filter the beer through a colander
2, when we are siphoning the chilled wort from the kettle into the fermentor, we use a colander again.

And ofc what I have mentioned earlier, we throw away all the left over (dirty-looking liquid) at the bottom of the boiling kettle after we have siphoned everything.

Any thoughts on our brewing practise?

I tend to leave all the trub in the boiling kettle. I usually have bits of hops in there to which probably wouldn't change anything, but the yeast really care about the sugar. If you are using dry yeast, they already have the vital nutrients they need to get started and when I use liquid yeast, I use a starter and its not really a concern because they are going crazy by the time I am ready to pitch.

I'd say that is truly up to you. Anything you bring over from the boiling kettle will eventually settle down to the bottom of the fermenter and not really make a difference.

There's really nothing wrong with what you are doing and there is also nothing wrong with dumping the entire kettle, many folks do that as well.

The trub will just settle out regardless and there's really nothing bad or good either way. If you dump you'll just have a lot of trub in the bottom of the primary and maybe a little less beer.

I will say that if you ever plan on harvesting and washing the yeast then dumping is not a great idea:)

Need, no.

I'm lazy and toss everything in my fermenter. No problems yet.

You DON'T HAVE TO strain/filter it's up to you. I use a paint strainer designed to fit 5 and 6.5 gallon buckets. See picture

PaintStrainer.jpg

Back