Do the legs need to be balanced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
As I split my 240v line 1 and line 2 into 120v legs is it important to try and balance the draw? As someone who only plays an electrician on the Internet it seems like balancing the draw on line 1 and line 2 would be a good thing. But before I wasted too much time worrying about it, and in the interest of expanding my electrical knowledge, I thought I would ask the question in here.

In my initial system build I don't think that this will be a major issue as the only 120v items will be my contactor, my PID, and 1 flasher/alarm. But as my system grows and evolves I am concerned that it might become an issue.

Balancing the loads would be best. It is not required. You will not achieve a true balance, just try to keep the amp draw on each leg close to the same. I assume this all fed from one double pole breaker. Keeping things balanced will keep the amp draw on both legs of the breaker roughly the same, in case of an over current issue.

"the only 120v items will be my contactor, my PID, and 1 flasher/alarm" None these will draw much amperage.

And never under estimate the importance of grounding!

Hope this helps.

Back