Do tannins mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I just finished fermenting 3 gal of cider using about 20% crab apple juice. I just tasted it and it is too tannic. Not horrible, but not what I want. Will the tannis fade as it ages, or should I make another gal without crabs and blend?

For me they seem to mellow after time. Or, the cider matures and rounds out the profile.
sidenote- I’ve made 100% Porters Perfection (bitter sharp) and it was good but I still prefer the majority of my juice to be from sharps. No more than 25% bitters.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. As I said, it is drinkable, but not what I was hoping for when I used the crab juice. The problem is I juiced it with a Jack laLane juicer and I think some of the seeds got cut up into the juice.

That shouldn’t be an issue. I use a garbage disposal grinder and it obliterates the seeds.
Crab apples vary quite a bit so follow your taste buds and taste them prior to fermentation. It’ll give you a good idea of how tannic they are.

So grinding up the seeds when you make juice does not make it any more tannic, not at all? I don't know why I thought it did.

Seeds if left too long and or crushed can introduce some harsh flavors that are not really tannins and really do not age out well. Strawberries as an example if left more than a month or so can produce some pretty bitter notes.

Will the tannis fade as it ages, or should I make another gal without crabs and blend?
Tannins help prevent oxidation. Certain regions of red wine producers create really high tannin wines so that they can be aged for long periods of time. You will hear about "young" wines which refers to there not having been enough time for a portion of the tannins to break down and the wine having a tannic taste. This is why products like aerators and decanters are sold. It helps take a bit of the harshness away. So yes tannins will breakdown over time. The other good news is that you will be able to store this cider for a while without it oxidizing.

But your saying crushed apple seeds don't do the same?

Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't. I don't know. But why would there be crushed apple seeds in your juice? Typically cider isn't fermented on the pomace; you're fermenting pressed juice and leaving the pomace(and any possible crushed seeds) behind.

@GeneDaniels1963
But your saying crushed apple seeds don't do the same?

Nope didn't say that. I just don't know if apple seeds specifically are are a problem. But I do know seeds in general are typically pretty bitter and if crushed and left in your cider too long certainly could be a problem.

Back