Do second harvests happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I have first year Santiams, and about a month ago I got about 6 cones off one plant. (yay)
But then I fertilized the plants and they started growing some more - probably went up another 2-3 feet, and now I have new burrs at the top. Not many, but 5-6 more.

Do plants often (or ever) make a second set of cones?

They do, but it is relatively rare. A warm Spring that makes the first crop ready early can give the plant time for a second crop.

I have a few bines that are generating a second harvest (additional burs), I do selective harvesting to only harvest perfectly ripe cones while letting others mature, etc.. Seems to be a great way to maximize hop potential, but I can see why a large scale operations can't just do that, too much manual labor involved but great for small garden crops :) I just wait till I have what I suspect is an ounce or more of hops that are large enough, and feel dry and springy to the touch with noticeable lupulin inside the cone and pluck away :)

i have a few bines that are generating a second harvest (additional burs), i do selective harvesting to only harvest perfectly ripe cones while letting others mature, etc.. Seems to be a great way to maximize hop potential, but i can see why a large scale operations can't just do that, too much manual labor involved but great for small garden crops :) i just wait till i have what i suspect is an ounce or more of hops that are large enough, and feel dry and springy to the touch with noticeable lupulin inside the cone and pluck away :)

+1

Also if you dont trim any growth, you will get a couple harvests. However there some debate as to the quality of the harvests. some say that w/o trimming and getting 1 harvest you dont get your plants full potential.

2 full batches of Miller Lite......:D

what are you going to do with 150 gallons of miller? :fro:

So far I have picked 3 small batches of hops from my brewers gold and 2 small batches from my cascade. (first year plants and maybe over 1/2 pound overall on 4 plants). They are still growing out burrs.

i grow 4 bines and prune them until they are loaded with hops ,then I let the shoots on the plants grow. i got 2 harvests off a 3rd year chinook this year over a pound off 1 plant so far

Yup, I harvested my Centennial twice already and probably get one more out of it. My Chinoolk is about to be harvested the 2nd time, the 1st time it produced almost 24 oz of wet hops. Probably will get about half of that the 2nd time.

beerloaf

I just fininshed off the second harvest off the 2nd year Chinook plant and it yielded approx 19 oz wet the second time around. Not bad considering I got almost 24 oz the 1st time a month ago. I dried the first batch down to 6 oz.

beerloaf

I just fininshed off the second harvest off the 2nd year Chinook plant and it yielded approx 19 oz wet the second time around. Not bad considering I got almost 24 oz the 1st time a month ago. I dried the first batch down to 6 oz.

beerloaf

I like your style, Dude.

I did two harvests this year but I think it was a fluke from the early hot weather and my early harvest to avoid a major mite infestation.

My Chinook plant went ape and somehow survived the freeze / thaw cycles that we had this spring and it produced a ton of flower spurs really early in the season.

Only 1/2 of the spurs developed into cones and the rest just sat there. I harvested early to prevent the mites from getting into the cones, cut the top half of the plant off and left a lot of the spurs down below. Within weeks, they started flowering and I ended up with a second harvest for an extra 2oz.

I still got a lot more from last years harvest but the second harvest this year was kind of a fun surprise.

Latest posts

Back