Do I own my c02 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semobrewer

Reaction score
I went to Airgas today to buy a 5# tank. It cost me $73 filled. They told me it is $24 for me to have the tank refilled. That did not bother me because the welding shop down the street fills c02 for 75 cents a pound. I got home and was bored so I started reading the small print on the back of my receipt. It says that "The cylinders, fittings and caps covered by this document are rented or leased by Airgas to the customer, not sold....ect". I went in there asking to buy a tank and they gave me the price, so do I own this or am I going to have to go there to have it fied everytime.

You can get a tank filled where ever you want.

I would call Airgas to see if you own it. PraxAir around here charges just under $200 for a filled 20lb, if you want to purchase it outright, which is crazy. They aren't new tanks either.

For $73, You better own it.

Are you on a list?-do they have your name?-did you register? -or sign something?

Possession is 9/10's of the law. :D

You can get a tank filled where ever you want.

I would call Airgas to see if you own it. PraxAir around here charges just under $200 for a filled 20lb, if you want to purchase it outright, which is crazy. They aren't new tanks either.

Wow that's steep. Although I paid $110 for a new AL 5 #er 4 years ago.

I have since got (2) 20 #ers nearly free. Well one was free and empty costing me $45 for recertification and a fill and the other cost me $20 and it was 3/4 full. I had to recertify and fill for the above price when it ran empty.

As I see it it is their property regarding your selling rights but it is your right to get it filled anywhere you want provided you don't swap it out.

My first tank cost $90, for a used #5 cylinder.:eek:
It is a swap only welding place. So basically you pay a new price for a used tank, which is better imo than buying a brand new tank and finding out you have to swap it for a rusty used one. One of the joys of small town living.:(

As long as you keep the tank, have it filled wherever it's cheapest.

I got scammed on my 2 tanks. Was told I was putting a deposit on the tank and that its leased, because they just swap out tanks.

Went in to see about swapping a 5lb to a 10lb and paying the difference on the deposit, was told I had to have me receipt of purchase to see what the tank was worth. Was told they don't lease tanks...

Yet they only swap, they don't refill YOUR tank. WTF...

I payed 80$ for a full 20#, I pay 15$ to swap it when empty for another 20# full tank. If you didn't sign a contract or lease, then you basically own the tank. If you signed a lease,,, then you are most likely paying a deposit and a yearly fee according to your contract. I am not really concerned about it, they just get me for 15$ whenever I need another bottle. Any bottle can be filled at any gas dealer ( provided the bottles test certificate is still valid). If its out of date, the owner is responsible for re-certification, unless you just slip it through and the gas co. can not track it to a single user, then they generally just suck it up and certify it and put it back in circulation.

D

I usually pay $13 bucks to get my tank filled. Lately the local fire extinguisher shop hasn't had someone there to fill it, so I did a swap at the LHBS for $17.50. Got a decent tank, so I'm semi-happy.

1) You own the tank. Take it anywhere you like to have it filled or exchanged.

2) $24 is outrageous for 5# of CO2, I pay $20 to fill my 20 pound tank.

Tom

I bought my 20 # from airgas in mi for 100. swaps are 18. for a full tank. don't know about airgas in other states i would think they would all be the same in mich tanks up to 50 # are owned 50#ers are leased. it dosen't matter if the cert is good or not they will still exchange it as they recert themselves. like i said that is in mi may or may not be the same in other states.

Back