do i need to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpyn55

Reaction score
just finished brewing a caribou slobber the directions say to ferment for two weeks the n secondary for another two weeks . So my question is do I need to secondary or can I just leave it in the primary for the four weeks then bottle thanks in advance

When I brewed this I just left it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. Secondary or no secondary is a big debate around here. I choose the easy route and just leave all my beers in the primary unless I am adding fruit or something.

Yep, leave in primary for 3.5-4 weeks. Or cold crash it in primary after 3 (bring temp down to 38F for 2 days, will drop yeast).

Some beers like lagers and Kolsch's, I always secondary. Also some bigger beers where I want them to bulk condition the same. Something like Cariou Slobber, I would just primary or primary/cold crash.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Secondaries are rarely needed. Most home brewers are phasing them out of their process. I've kept beer on the trub for months with no ill effects. I use my 5g carboy secondary to store Starsan.

One less step. One less chance for issues.

I was planning to Brew Caribou Slobber this weekend myself and wondered the same thing. I belive the NB instructions (or DVD) say to add an extra week to primary if you are going to skip the secondary.

From what I can tell this step is more for clarity then anything else. That doesnt really matter to me at this point so I'm going to skip it. Plus I dont have any equipment for a secondary anyway.

As I've got from the expirienced ppl - the secondary is really need mostly only in case you are going to do something special with your beer after primary fermentation done. E.g. add fruits, oaking etc.
In other cases secondary is not much needed.

Just my 2cents-

According to Palmer, a secondary can help if you're dry hopping ipa style beers (in addition to what others have said).

As a beginner, don't worry about transfering to a secondary. If you have access to CO2 and can sanitize competently, go ahead! I use secondaries for ipas and my big beers, and beers with additional ingredients.

According to Palmer, a secondary can help if you're dry hopping ipa style beers (in addition to what others have said).
that advice is dated (as in, from an old version of How to Brew). we would have to ask him, but i suspect that these days he would say that dry hopping does not require secondary and is best done in primary. on his Brew Strong podcast he's been in favor of avoiding secondary when possible.

Back