Do i need to sanitize a new 1 gallon jug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCool

Reaction score
I'm about to start a batch of hard cider and I bought a 1 gallon glass jug of store-bought cider and i was wondering about a few things...
Can I just take some of the cider out to dissolve some sugar in it and then pour it back in with the rest? or do i need to transfer the whole gallon into a clean container, sanitize the glass jug than siphon the cider back in with the dissolved sugar.. and all other materials,, etc..

If it's the jug that held the cider, i don't see why you couldn't. It's not like you are leaving the jug opened and exposed for any amount of time.

Not if you are opening, pouring some off, and then capping it back up until you are ready to pour your (cooled) sugar cider solution back in.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss. Everything gets sanitized, EVERYTHING! Purify it of the bacterial hordes with FIRE!

No (with exceptions). If you bought a jug of store-bought cider, then presumably it is pasteurized. In that case, it is fine to use the jug it came in as a fermenter. No need to transfer the contents, sanitize the jug, then transfer the cider back into the jug. That's ridiculous.

However, if the cider is not pasteurized, all bets are off. Not only would you be best fermenting in a separate container, you might also want to throw a campden tablet in the cider 24 hours prior to fermentation to ensure all wild yeasts are killed off.

So, your best bet would be to pour out some of the initial cider volume (to allow for adequate head space for fermentation activity and your sugar solution (or you can pour the sugar in the jug and shake the dickens out of it)) then add the yeast and slap an airlock on it.

I don't see why you wouldn't, especially with something as easy to use as starsan
Mix a bit inside the job, close the cap, shake.
Wait a minute, empty making sure to get the liquid on the cap and opening of the jug and voula!
Done in 60 seconds.

If the jug is sealed and the juice is pasteurized, then the contents are already sanitized. Why bother doing it again?

I think the chances of contamination actually rise if he has to:

1: Sanitize a second container
2: Pour the cider from his freshly bought glass jug into the container sanitized in step 1
3: Rinse and then sanitize the original jug the cider came in.
4. Transfer the cider back from container 2 into container one.

If he only has the cap off for a few moments, the odds of contamination are not really any different than opening your fermenter to get a sample.

It is pasteurized, and the people who are saying I don't need to sanitize are producing a more convincing argument so I'm thinking thats the way to go.. thanks all!!

Back