Do I have anything to worrry about? Hot Side Aeration.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac

Reaction score
I collect my wort after mash in buckets or carboys because I dont have a gravity system. I then pour this in the kettle which makes alot of bubbles etc...

Is this ok? anyone else do this?

Just poured 10 gallons of hot wort in the kettle!!! Rock on ladies and Gents!! Jammin to the radio and makin some beer!! I love it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stir my mash tun after every infusion and before every draining with a paint stirrer on a drill. Come taste my beers and THEN tell me that HSA can mess up a batch. Nuhuh.

Sweet. I was just curious if my proceess was messed up.. I am not freaking out as it seems my beers are turning out ok but when I poured into kettle today it reminded me of hsa.

Wow, I love this site. Everyone is so helpful!! I feel honored Revy jumped in and assisted with my question. Your a legend!!

Well i drain my MLT using tubing right into the boil kettle to minimize any splashing, but i still do get some bubbling and splashing and have not had any ill affects.

Wow, I love this site. Everyone is so helpful!! I feel honored Revy jumped in and assisted with my question. Your a legend!!

Yeah, a Revvy post :rolleyes: What a rarity. That only happens about, oh, a few hundred times a day. :D

Oohoohoh sh*t. I got you good, you f*cker.:mug:

Rock and Rolll aignt noise pollutions!!

I am waisted!!

It's BS if you ask me. Wouldn't the boil eliminate any oxygen youve introduced by splashing?

No, because we're actually talking about different compounds that are explained more fully in Fix.

I can't explain the science with enough intelligence, so I'll direct you here.

I think a lot of people are confused by what the term "oxidation" means. For example, while oxygen is certainly a oxidizing agent, oxidation can certainly occur in the complete absence of oxygen.

Any argument about the presence of molecular oxygen in the mash or boil are naive, since we are talking about oxidation which is only a superficially similar word to oxygen.

so if we aren't worring about HSA why do we Vorlauf? couldn't I just run the wort thru a screen to collect bits of grain?

so if we aren't worring about HSA why do we Vorlauf? couldn't I just run the wort thru a screen to collect bits of grain?

The function of the vorlauf is about setting the grain bed and redistributing the smaller particles to the top for better clarity and filtering.

Latest posts

Back