Do I have an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1oored

Reaction score
So I have this rash all over my... wait wrong forum.

I'm working on my second batch of cider. It's a 5 gallon from store bought juice with some notty yeast with only a little cinnamon added. I left it in primary for 2 weeks and racked last night. This morning I noticed several little cylinders floating vertically at the top of the cider. They sink about an inch then rise back to the surface (bobbing) over and over. Original gravity was 1.050 and yesterday it was 1.016. I started this batch on 11/17. When racking, the cider appeared to have a healthy foamy krausen.

I tried to take a picture but these little bastards are hard to photograph.
IMG_0810.jpg

So is this something to worry about? Is this an infection?

It looks like just a small clump of yeast from the photo. Infections tend to grow slowly. At only 2 weeks it's most likely yeast.

Looks like yeast to me too.
Usually after racking at 2 weeks I still get more fermentation for another week or so, then the yeast starts to settle and the cider clears.

Thanks, I'm new and this is the first time I've used this yeast. I've read a bunch on here about infections and I think I got paranoid.

Little yeastie colonies, I bet. What's happening is they generate some CO2 and it makes them rise. As they get near the top they release the gas and sink back down again. Before they fall very far they burp up some more gas and ride the bubble back to the top. What you're watching is the yeastie version of a roller coaster--there's probably one big yeastie with a combover and missing teeth who's charging all the little yeasties a buck apiece to ride to the surface. They don't know it's their own indigestion that's making the ride :D

Latest posts

Back