Do I have a problem? Bottle Harvested Pacman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicided1954

Reaction score
I read somewhere that peanut butter color is indicative of yeast that is no good. This was light DME, the yeast came from a bottle of Rogue Somer Orange Honey Ale. I was not impressed by the beer at all...anyway. The slurry was a dark color in the bottle. I made the starter last night and didnt put it on the stirplate until this morning. (I made the stirplate and don't trust it yet). I smelled it this am and it smelled like beer.

Give it a day or two and see if it takes off? When I bottle harvest what color should I expect the sediment to be? I mean this looked like the sediment in a beer where I didnt filter the hops.

Thanks
Darryl

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx358/suicided1954/beer/2010-01-03155611.jpg

2010-01-03155611.jpg

I've never heard of the Peanut butter thing, so it's prolly bunk. Besides you are really not seeing what the yeast really looks like, you won't until you turn off your stirplate in a day or so and let your yeast flocculate out. It will i'm sure look just fine.

It's the band on the bottom that matters.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

More than likely it's that color now because of the color of the beer dregs you poured in there.

Relax!

that's what concerned me the beer was lighter than the DME...I could understand it if it was amber or a dark beer.

Straight from How to Brew.

I'd be disturbed if I had mixed the dregs from an extremely light colored beer with some light extract and got that.

And more than likely he is referring then to the actual color of the yeast band, not the color of the starter beer.

It will look totally different when it flocculates and clears.

Just give it a couple of days, shut the stirplate down and let the yeast fall out of suspension and/or crash cool it. THEN will see what color the yeast actually is.

I use extralight dme with my starters and spinning on my stirplate the beer has looked just as dark as that. But when it's done spinning, and floculates it looks comepletely different.

I have been known to take things out of context... I'll let it run. I have nothing to lose. So should I shut it down in the am, let it settle out and step it up after work?

I have been known to take things out of context... I'll let it run. I have nothing to lose. So should I shut it down in the am, let it settle out and step it up after work?

Yeah, or run it til you get home from work, Turn it off when you get in the door, let it floculate over dinner and then after you do dishes feed it some more.

I'm sorry, I know I'm a Noob... but I had the same paranoid reaction to the whole "peanut butter" color thing... And my yeast turned out fantastic in a starter. See my experimentation thread as to my process (note: I didn't even have a stir plate).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/starter-experimentation-154774/

Note: I am not saying that everything is right... I'm just saying that in the past 48hours, I personally verified the whole "peanut butter color" thing to be unreliable.

Well here she is after almost 48 hours. I think I'll go ahead and step it up. How much growth should I expect?

100_1284.jpg

i'll just pour into the new wort then. I'm moving it to a 2L flask. Thanks for all your help on this. I'm not brewing the batch I intend this yeast for until the 16th. Should I keep stepping it up every few days? or do I need to take it to X liters and refridgerate?

i'll just pour into the new wort then. I'm moving it to a 2L flask. Thanks for all your help on this. I'm not brewing the batch I intend this yeast for until the 16th. Should I keep stepping it up every few days? or do I need to take it to X liters and refridgerate?

Yeah if you aren't planning to use it right away, step it up a few times, then use the info in the yeast washing illustrated thread and wash the batch and try to get 2-3 mason jars of yeast. I did that in the fall with the dregs of 12 hoegaardens and got a bunch of yeast that I just jarred away. I used it day after christmas on my wit, and had a huge krausen.

I woke up this morning to more foam. it is hard to see in the picture but the little brown krausen line is from Monday when I stepped it up to the flask, it had subsided some yesterday and now today the foam has increased and is over the original line. I have not changed the speed at all.

what does this mean to me?

When do I need to step it up again?

Here is our friend swirling merrily away.

2010-01-06062229.jpg

Back