do I have a leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhb69

Reaction score
noob to kegging, so maybe this is obvious to most of you.

I closed the valve on my gas bottle last night because I began to suspect I had a leak -- though I can't find one anywhere. This morning I noticed that the high-pressure gauge on my regulator (closest to the gas cylinder) was on zero. But, funny enough, the low-pressure gauge (one closest to the keezer) was still on 11psi, right where it has always been. Does this mean that my regulator is leaking? Or that I have a leak between the gas bottle and the regulator? Or is this perfectly normal?

thanks for any insight!

If the pressure on the low side is staying steady but the high pressure side has dropped to 0, then you have a leak somewhere between the bottle & and the regulator. Some people have reported cracked regulators but the more like cause is a leaking connection at the regulator or at the tank.

To be certain, I just tested this with a tank/regulator. I disconnected the regulator from the tank and the high side pressure dropped to 0 while the low side pressure stayed steady.

However, the more I think about this, the less sure I am of why. Looking at a diagram on how diaphragm pressure regulators work, if the inlet pressure drops to 0, then the pressure difference across the poppet valve should force the inlet valve open and equalize the pressure. So the low side gauge should also drop to 0.

a spray bottle of star san would help you find any leaks. just mist it on the connections and it will bubble and hiss where ever you have a leak.

To be certain, I just tested this with a tank/regulator. I disconnected the regulator from the tank and the high side pressure dropped to 0 while the low side pressure stayed steady.

However, the more I think about this, the less sure I am of why. Looking at a diagram on how diaphragm pressure regulators work, if the inlet pressure drops to 0, then the pressure difference across the poppet valve should force the inlet valve open and equalize the pressure. So the low side gauge should also drop to 0.

There's probably a check valve that doesn't let the pressure back out.

Yes, I do have a check valve between the regulator and the kegs. So this prevents the pressure between the regulator and the kegs from dropping, thus no pressure drop in the low-pressure gauge. But I guess this means that I've got a leak somewhere between the cylinder and the regulator. I can't seem to find it, but will continue to search. Thanks for your help!

Did you put the plastic washer between the cylinder and regulator? If you didn't you will surely have a leak.

Some regulators actually have this washer built in. One of mine does and does not leak without the washer (which is often made of fiber).

Yep, I've got the washer in there. I am beginning to suspect that the leak is under the knob of the regulator itself. Is that even possible? Doing further tests now...

Use a spray bottle with soapy water. Spray all the connections and you will find your leak very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back