do hop flavors mellow out with time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I brewed a batch that was supposed to simulate Red Chair NWPA. It's not really a clone because I picked out caramel malts that weren't supposed to turn out as sweet as Red Chair is. Anyway, I used 1 oz Citra at 60 m, 1 oz Citra at 15 m, and 1 oz Cascade at flameout. Now it is bottled, but still a young beer. It was bottled a week and a half ago. Maybe I shouldn't have even tried it yet.

Now, on to my question. Can I expect the hop flavors to mellow out? There is a piney, almost musky but not quite flavor that doesn't mesh well with the otherwise fruity flavor and aroma that is expected of Citra and Cascade. The malt flavors are fine I think but I am concerned about that distracting flavor I'm getting from that beer. If it doesn't mellow out then I'm not sure I will want to drink it at all.

I appreciate any input.

Hop flavor and aroma degrade over time. Your beer is much too young to be fretting over. Give it 3+ weeks in the bottle and see how those flavors meld/change. :mug:

Back