Do fusels dissipate in long aged sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
Recently brewed a Flanders Red with the Roesalare blend yeast. From what I read from Wyeast, its ok to pitch on its own, and a starter is not recommended. So, that's what I did. It took forever (80+ hours) to start fermenting and to encourage it, I raised temps to mid 70s. Once it started, I dropped it to 67*F for the primary ferment.

After primary, I transferred it, with the yeast/bugs, for longterm aging. During the transfer, I can smell fusels. This is obviously from underpitching and hot initial fermentation (which is my fault, but kind of unavoidable with this yeast blend, no?)

My question is, will the fusels fade out or be consumed by the other bugs in the roeselare pitch over the next year, or should I plan on rebrewing now to save a year of aging something that won't be drinkable?

The fusels should be broken down into esters as time goes on. I'm not sure how long this typically takes, but I've seen it happen after aging stouts 6+ months.

Back