Do bottling buckets have to be replaced as often as plastic carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it's recommended to replace plastic carboys every 25-30 brews, but was wondering if the same applied to bottling buckets? I was leaning on the side of no since I'd assume if they got a scratch, it wouldn't be as much of a problem since they're housing the liquid only for 30 mins tops and not weeks.

Anyway, anyone been using the same bottling bucket for years with no ill effects?

I'm going on 9 years with the same buckets/carboys I started with. I've only tossed one along the way when it got a scratch on the inside during a move. Aside from that, besides a little staining, they look pretty much the same as when I got them. I brew 3-4 times a month.

I'm going on 7 years with the same buckets/carboys I started with. I've only tossed one along the way when it got a scratch on the inside during a move. Aside from that, besides a little staining, they look pretty much the same as when I got them. I brew 3-4 times a month.

Awesome, great to know. Thanks man :)

Back