Do beer drinkers eat sushi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You experts got any tips on cutting the rolls? I'm getting better and better with my rolling, BUT I totally hack em when it's time to cut....I try the
rolling a bead of liquid" down the edge of the knife, like they show on the DVD I have, but still...it's getting the first piercing of the nori that gets me...

:off:Any of you into making spring rolls as well? I've been doing a lot those lately also, using both wonton wrappers, and the rice paper type. Nothing like your own freshly steamed or fried springrolls.

You experts got any tips on cutting the rolls? I'm getting better and better with my rolling, BUT I totally hack em when it's time to cut....I try the
rolling a bead of liquid" down the edge of the knife, like they show on the DVD I have, but still...it's getting the first piercing of the nori that gets me...

Sharp knife, use the whole cutting surface of the blade in a smooth slicing motion. Keep downward pressure minimal Then again, you can just make handrolls- no cutting necessary!

+1 on sharp knife, I have a knife that I only use for Sushi so it stays really sharp. By the way this thread convinced me that I needed to make Cali rolls last night, they were delish.

Yeah you need a razor sharp knife. Eventually I plan on getting some good knives specifically for the purpose, but for now I use my filet knife which is razor sharp. Also make sure your Nori has set and is not papery still. The chefs do it in one motion iirc, for each cut. As mentioned you can do the hand rolls. Gunkan is a little tricky, but if you practice you'll get it. Nigiri imho is probably the hardest to do. The key is to make an air pocket, which I fail miserably at :D.

Yeah you need a razor sharp knife. Eventually I plan on getting some good knives specifically for the purpose, but for now I use my filet knife which is razor sharp. Also make sure your Nori has set and is not papery still. The chefs do it in one motion iirc, for each cut. As mentioned you can do the hand rolls. Gunkan is a little tricky, but if you practice you'll get it. Nigiri imho is probably the hardest to do. The key is to make an air pocket, which I fail miserably at :D.

The filet knife is a good idea, but i just realize that I'm probably not letting my nori set long enough either.

I love sushi, eat it 3-4 times a week. When you love by the shore, its a reasonable thing to eat at almost any restaurant.

Actually, my real question is, have any of you ever made your own sushi? I wonder if it is at all worthwhile to do. By the time you buy all the ingredients, especially the sushi-quality seafood, I wonder if a person would just be better off just going out to a restaurant to get it.

Yes I eat sushi on occasion. I even like the stuff from our grocery. However I usually stick to the California or other non raw fish varieties when not at a nice restaurant.

I have made sushi on one occasion in grad school. That was at a sushi party with several other students including several who knew what they were doing. However we stuck to vegetables and cooked fish just to avoid any problems from having a large group try to cook in an apartment. :D
It wasn't that hard but then again we probably took a few short cuts. Still the food was good.

Craig

If i catch any yellow jacks spearfishing i will definately make sushi. They have firm, white meat, that has a nice mild flavor. mmm. That's as fresh as it gets!

All this talk about sushi gave me one hell of a craving. So today on lunch break at a class for work me and a coworker headed out and ate a few rolls. The place opened at 11:30 and it was a good thing we were there when it opened, 'cause within 5 minutes the place was packed. :drunk:

And strangely enough...I've been having some issues with reflux for a year or so now (gotta go get scoped :(), and when I do eat sushi, my stomach feels fine for days afterward. :rockin:

Make it. I do it all the time. We have a place not far from home that has sushi grade tuna..................man that is good. And all of the veggies we use we just wrap up then use them the next day for dinner. The only extra things you need are Mirin and rice wine vinegar for the sushi rice.

If raw fish creeps you out you can always sautee up some beef slices real quick and add them in your roll, or make a veggie roll with cucumber and avacado.

this makes me hungry for sushi now. thanks

Edit: the best is a small piece of jalapeno tempura fried rolled with very quicly seared salmon, some cream cheese then the whole roll is tempura fried and drizzled with a touch of thia chili sauce...........................yummo

Time to resurrect this thread!

At the request of my 6 year old, I made some sushi last night. Made California roll for my wife and kids (SWMBO still isn't interested in the raw fish variety) and grabbed some tuna from the store. First attempt at making nigiri, a little too much rice under it but it turned out pretty well. :) Yum!

Photo_120409_003.jpg

Photo_120409_006.jpg

Great looking sushi FireBrewer, I love when my son (8yrs) is given a choice of where to eat when we go out, his first two choices are two different sushi bars. I'm in Hanover from time to time on business, where would you recommend I go to get the "good stuff"?

I just tried sushi for the first time the other day, and I am probably going to get killed for saying this, but I don't really see what the big deal is. I got very little flavor out of the different fish and it was much chewier than I was expecting.

Great looking sushi FireBrewer, I love when my son (8yrs) is given a choice of where to eat when we go out, his first two choices are two different sushi bars. I'm in Hanover from time to time on business, where would you recommend I go to get the "good stuff"?

Thanks! Full Moon is pretty good. They're BYOB too, don't even bat an eye at you bringing in a growler. :D As far as I know they're the only notable one in town.

Next time you're going to be in town, hit me up! :mug:

I just tried sushi for the first time the other day, and I am probably going to get killed for saying this, but I don't really see what the big deal is. I got very little flavor out of the different fish and it was much chewier than I was expecting.

Different fish have different flavors and textures---octopus is particularly chewy.

To each his own. I've heard some BMC drinkers say the same thing about craft beer. ;) And like craft beer, some people are nuts over it, some can take it or leave it, and some want nothing to do with it. Me, I can take or leave sushi but it's a nice gustatory change of pace. Too expensive for a regular night out for me like some sushi fans do.

Vive la difference. :mug:

Different fish have different flavors and textures---octopus is particularly chewy.

To each his own. I've heard some BMC drinkers say the same thing about craft beer. ;) And like craft beer, some people are nuts over it, some can take it or leave it, and some want nothing to do with it. Me, I can take or leave sushi but it's a nice gustatory change of pace. Too expensive for a regular night out for me like some sushi fans do.

Vive la difference. :mug:

I had: ahi, yellow tail, salmon, octopus, and I think one other one. Some were sushi some were sashimi. I should probably try it again when I haven't had a few IPAs already. They probably didn't help out my taste buds at all.
After reading this I got an idea for some sort of mongolian beef roll. Don't know why but I think it would be really good. I might have to work on that.

Pay the money and find GOOD Bluefin tuna or Bigeye tuna

Talk about GREAT raw fish!

TIPS:

Knife must be kept damp at all times, I use a wet dish cloth and wipe it every cut.
Chill the fish in the freezer almost to freezing, makes cutting easier
SHARP knife
Knife must be kept damp at all times

While, I have not ever made sushi I do know quite abit about cooking and I just want to throw a knife reccomendation out there to anyone that is looking. Shun knives are some of the best that I have ever come across in my life. Yes, they are expensive but still cheaper than some of the good germans blades. The blade is made at a 16 degree (I think) angle which is different that most traditional knifes. That along with the steel they use, and the processes that they use to fold the steel make it dangeously sharp and the blades last a long time. I use mine quite a bit and find they only need sharpened about every 9-12 months. They also offer free lifetime sharpening and their customer service is great. While cleaning my chefs knife I noticed a chip in the blade and called them. They said to send it back to them and within 2 weeks I had a new knife back. I really can't reccomend them enough.

I should probably try it again when I haven't had a few IPAs already. They probably didn't help out my taste buds at all.

Yeah, tasty but probably muted your taste buds a bit. :p

While, I have not ever made sushi I do know quite abit about cooking and I just want to throw a knife reccomendation out there to anyone that is looking. Shun knives are some of the best that I have ever come across in my life.

Interesting! Nice looking knives. Would love to have 'em if I could drop the coin on 'em...and have the wife trained not to throw them in the dishwasher. :mad: *sigh*

Interesting! Nice looking knives. Would love to have 'em if I could drop the coin on 'em...and not worry about the wife throwing them in the dishwasher. :mad: *sigh*

I got the 6 piece set for christmas one year after telling everyone thats what I wanted for over 2 years. My wife is scared to even touch them so I don't have to worry about her destroying them. Them going in the dishwasher might be grounds for divorce. :D

I eat sushi like it's going out of style. Once or twice a week I'd say.

I've never made my own sushi and don't really have the desire to give it a shot, but there are a lot of fishermen here in San Diego and when they get off the boat with a load of fresh caught tuna, you bet I'll have some of the sashimi they carve up and bring to the bar.

I could eat my own body weight in sushi at a sitting.

I've only made it at home once, when a friend went fishing and brought back almost still-floppin' mahi-mahi and tuna. I made some sushi rice, cut up some slices across the grain and went to town.

-Joe

Thanks! Full Moon is pretty good. They're BYOB too, don't even bat an eye at you bringing in a growler. :D As far as I know they're the only notable one in town.

Next time you're going to be in town, hit me up! :mug:

FB that Sounds great, I'll take you up on that. I work for ESAB as a salesmen, I get there once or twice a year for tanning/meetings.

Even thought Pa's liquor laws, keeping it family friendly "suck" to say the least. I do really enjoy the policy of many of your restaurants "byo" it rocks :rockin:.

And Klingers, I can't put into words. Wednesday Nights Blues and 350 beers, 32 on tap, and if you ask for a Bud Light, the response is priceless" We don't have that here"

Cheers...

FB that Sounds great, I'll take you up on that. I work for ESAB as a salesmen, I get there once or twice a year for tanning/meetings.

Definitely do! ESAB's only 5-7 minutes from my house. :)

And Klingers, I can't put into words. Wednesday Nights Blues and 350 beers, 32 on tap, and if you ask for a Bud Light, the response is priceless" We don't have that here"
Yeah, they have Miller Lite on tap but that's about it. Usually a pretty good selection at any given time. Appalachian Brewing Company in Gettysburg is pretty good too, only 30 minutes away. Good beer!

Cheers!!

I've made my own sushi before.

It's hard...and until you do it a few times it'll probably come out weird.

But it tastes good. I didn't compare costs, it'll probably come out a little cheaper, but the trick is using up all the ingredients (namely the meat) right away. I usually buy a full pound of each as it's cheaper that way. I'll have some friends over and make a ton of rolls.

It's also hard finding a store that carries sushi grade seafood. Not something you get at the local Wal Mart or Kroger...

Also having the right tools is paramount. I have two of the straw mats, one plain and one covered in a ziploc bag. The bagged mat is used when the rice is outside, the normal one when it's only touching the seaweed.

I do like making sushi but ultimately I can pick up the phone, drive 15 minutes and have damn good sushi for almost the same cost...so I just buy it. Plus the places by me often have special rolls with hard to find ingredients or they're just really wacky and hard to make.

My favorite so far was a mango roll, had mango on top, I forget what was inside (prolly tuna) but it was GOOD.

ETA - Nigiri is actually VERY easy to make and also good if you want something simpler. This is where you'll definitely find some cost savings over store bought.

Oh, and a word of caution for anyone that sees the 'Sea Urchin' and thinks 'hey that sounds interesting!'...DON'T!

I had it a few months back, and it was downright disgusting. So far the only thing at a sushi bar I haven't liked...I almost vomited.

It didn't taste bad...but the texture....GROSS!

Actually, my real question is, have any of you ever made your own sushi? I wonder if it is at all worthwhile to do. By the time you buy all the ingredients, especially the sushi-quality seafood, I wonder if a person would just be better off just going out to a restaurant to get it.

I LOVE sushi! I have made some of the more simple rolls at home, but finding good ingredients for sushi in MT is next to impossible. There are a couple places in town that carry what they call "sushi grade" tuna, but finding things like tobiko, ikura, and ika is just impossible here. Most of the time I eat sushi out simply because it's easy & the selection is far superior to anything I can make at home. Regards, GF.

I'm not a fish eater but love vegetable rolls. I'm hoping to get a sushi kit soon to make my own

Love Sushi now that swmbo got me eating a couple years ago. But I can only eat about 2 rolls myself before the flavor and texture start turning on me and I can't eat it anymore. But the first two rolls are delicious. It's weird.
Swmbo made it once with doing her own rice and everything. Very long process, I'm not a chef so would just prefer buying it. She's only done it once also and loves cooking.

I can't eat enough. I love it especially with a nice hoppy beer.

I have never had the desire to make it though. I got to know a sushi chef at one of the placest my friends and I frequent and found out it is a three apprenticeship before you can even be 'considered' a sushi chef at a restaurant. I was pretty blown away by that.

One thing that amazes me about sushi is the delicacy and the art form involved. Watching a sushi chef do what they do is an amazing experience.

I would love to try my own some day. . I have seen some started kits at some specialty kitchen stores.

I love sushi but when I eat sushi there are other things that sort of 'have to' be included; like a bowl of miso soup, some tempura veggies, and sake. I also friggin love the tempura flakes/chips that they sometimes use in sushi and I'm always getting specialty rolls that have it. So since I'd have to make all that extra stuff and it'd be such a PITA, this is one of those foods that I always go out for. There's a place not more than 2 miles from my home so it works out. That premade stuff at the grocery is LOL...premade (or leftover) sushi just isn't anywhere close to fresh made imo.

Those good sushi chefs make it look so easy. And I agree about it being all about the rice. You can tell a good sushi chef just by the amount of texture of the rice. If there's a huge fat layer of rice and/or the rice is all 'compressed/compacted'...not good.

Tried once and it came out good. It is just time consuming, I became friends with the sushi chef at a place I frequent and we trade home brew for sushi. Works out perfect for me.:mug:

After reading this thread yesterday I got the hankerin' for some sushi and went out last night. I love a good, fresh Tuna or Salmon nigiri the way it almost melts in your mouth...mmm!

Latest posts

Back